Private communication (as a reference)

In summary, the author received permission from those cited to use the comment, but did not include a date. There is a convention for including the year in a reference to a private communication. There can be problems if the cited person is deceased.
f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a question about the correct way to write a reference to a private communication.
The other day I was making some corrections in the proof of an article that will soon be published. One of the questions/comments from the editors office was that regarding a referenfce to a private communication (an e-mail). The reference was written

Ref. XY F. Surname ,private communication.

which is usually fine (I try to avoid references to private communications, but sometimes it can't be helped).

Hower, this editor wanted me to add the date (of the e-mail).

I this a convention? I've never come across it before.

The paper will be published in an AIP physics journal, if that makes a difference.

btw, sorry if this is the wrong subforum. I wasn't sure where to put it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
The question opens an interesting can of neutrinos for biographers and historians. How can they substantiate a quote from an e-mail or text message?

zoobyshoe said:
The question opens an interesting can of neutrinos for biographers and historians. How can they substantiate a quote from an e-mail or text message?
I believe the reference to 'private communication' is in conjunction with a scientific paper. It would be customary for an author to receive permission from those with whom he/she communication to use the comment. The 'private communication' citation is an attribution to the person cited. Others may then contact those cited and ask for further information. Such information may not be [yet] disclosed in journals or printed literature. Problems arise if the cited person is/becomes deceased.

Yes, I now know that it is part of the AIP style. However, I was more interested in knowing whether or not this is the norm. I've used references to private communications once or twice before (as I said, I try to avoid them, for reasons already listed by zoobyshoe and Astronuc) and I am pretty sure I did not include a date then (although I have to check to see where those papers were published, they might have been conference papers).

Also, I've certainly seen quite a few references without a date; so my question is what is considered "correct"? Does it just depend on the publisher?

Btw, in this case the private communication referred to a techincal fact (not very important, including it was just our attempt to prevent a referee from commenting on it) that seems to be "common knowledge" among people using the experimental method I used for I particular result (which I only started using about a year ago); the problem it is a small community and there are no real textbooks or even review papers. However, the guy I referred to is very well known in the field, and is as it happens actually working on a textbook which will contain this fact. Hence, it was the best I could do.

Last edited:

1. What is private communication?

Private communication refers to any form of communication that is intended for a specific individual or group and is not meant for public consumption. This can include personal conversations, emails, text messages, and other forms of direct communication.

2. How is private communication different from public communication?

The main difference between private and public communication is the intended audience. Private communication is directed towards a specific person or group, while public communication is intended for a larger audience or the general public. Private communication is also typically more personal and may contain sensitive or confidential information.

3. Is private communication always secure?

No, private communication is not always secure. While certain forms of private communication, such as encrypted emails or secure messaging apps, may have built-in security measures, there is always a risk of interception or hacking. It is important to be cautious with personal information and to use secure methods of communication when necessary.

4. What are the benefits of private communication?

Private communication allows for more personal and direct interactions between individuals. It also allows for the sharing of sensitive or confidential information without the risk of it being made public. Private communication can also help to build trust and establish closer relationships between individuals.

5. Are there any downsides to private communication?

One potential downside of private communication is the risk of misinterpretation or misunderstandings between individuals. Private communication also limits the ability for others to provide input or offer alternative perspectives, which can be beneficial in certain situations. Additionally, relying too heavily on private communication can lead to exclusion or lack of transparency in group settings.