Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pro-religious censorship at PF

1. Jul 24, 2006 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I am deeply disappointed that some of the mentors at PF has a pro-religious, fact-denying intolerant attitude in saying I am religion-"bashing".

1. Is it religion-"bashing" to state the FACT that just about any form public entertainment in Taliban Afghanistan was forbidden, except for public executions?
    Do mentors deny that Taliban leaders constantly justified their actions by citing the Quran?
    Do mentors say these leaders quoted the Quran incorrectly?

Is it religion-bashing to say that insofar as some call to action (for example cutting off the hand of thieves, or stoning of an adulterous wife) is prescribed by the Quran, then Islam has an intimate connection as the motivating background for the execution of such actions?

2. Is it religion-bashing to say that any text within the Bible belong to the corpus of the holy, authoritative text for Christians?
    Do mentors deny that the sentence "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" is a call to murder those "proven" to be witches?

3. When Paul says that women are to remain silent in assemblies, is it religion-bashing to point out that if you are to be a Christian then, at the very least, you should disapprove of any woman who dares to raise her voice?

Please, do not go in the trap of maintaining a rosy sheen about religions, and that is in fact what you are doing when you, as a principle, regard either the Bible or the Quran as essentially a MORAL book.
    Or, if that is too difficult, do not throw about labels of religion-bashing, when criticisms are backed up with historical FACTS concerning the religion in question.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Arildno,

Please calm down. We are not pro-religious, nor are we anti-relgiious. We take no stance on religion, and simply do not permit discussion of religion on this forum -- regardless of the validity or merit or intentions of the arguments or participants. It's just not in the scope of this forum. I encourage you to take your religious arguments to another of the many other sites on the 'net which host religious debate.

- Warren

4. Jul 24, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So pointing out that a crucial component in the execution of a 16-year old girl (whose only fault was to make love with someone she wasn't married to) is, in fact, the religious beliefs of those in authoritative positions in the judicial system, that is impermissible?

Well, well, if that's how you want to run the forum, so be it.

5. Jul 24, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The last time I checked you were misquoting Christian doctrine.

6. Jul 24, 2006 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

7. Jul 24, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indeed. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm simply saying it's not a welcome topic here. Trust me, I don't like censoring you, but this is a science forum. Our staff long ago made the decision that religious arguments (pro-, anti-, or anything in between) are simply not welcome here.

I appreciate that regilious differences are practically the firmament upon which the world's current political situation rests, and that a discussion of politics almost cannot exclude religion. I appreciate that this hinders discussion here. Our membership is by and large incredibly intelligent, worldly, and well-meaning, and I too would genuinely like to hear what they have to say on the topic. However, we have to draw our boundary lines somewhere, and they have thus been drawn. Religious topics are simply too inflammatory, attract inordinate attention, and distract from the forum's purpose -- the discussion of science.

Perhaps some members have suggestions of forums which support religious debate?

- Warren

8. Jul 24, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Speaking as a Christian and the one who locked the thread, I feel pretty much the same way as you do, Arildno. Not entirely to be sure, but more than not. Note also that you wouldn't find many Christians defending radicalized Islam on a theological basis.

I'd like to [Bush] say a lot more but that would quickly violate the posting guidelines. :biggrin:

9. Jul 24, 2006 #8
    Here are some of the bigger ones and this search gave some interesting results.

10. Jul 24, 2006 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does this class as a religious discussion? :tongue::wink:

11. Jul 24, 2006 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, I don't know, since it is now impermissible here at PF to criticize any statement that somewhere in the world has been raised to a religious dogma.

Perhaps it is for the best, but then you could equally well shut down P&WA.

(For example, one of the truly major factors in the Israel conflicts is that Jews say their God awarded them a country they didn't live in for 2000 years. The presumed descendants of those once living there didn't even have any legal documents to show that they were, in fact, descendants, they merely claimed to be so, and got away with that).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  12. Jul 26, 2006 #11
    Oh! I thought physics was a religion... whats going to save me now :-(

13. Jul 26, 2006 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

String Theory. You have to believe in it.

Zz.

14. Jul 27, 2006 #13

Danger

Gold Member

You surprise me, ZZ. I always thought that you were a 'brane man. :tongue:

15. Jul 27, 2006 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What, you think I'm two-dimensional?

:)

Zz.

16. Jul 28, 2006 #15
    Everyone should give strings a good plucking at least one time in their lives.

As for religions, pluck those too. o:)

17. Jul 29, 2006 #16

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl:

18. Jul 29, 2006 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(Gotta do something about that smiley)

19. Aug 1, 2006 #18
    I'm a devout agnostic with a real interest in religous history I can honestly say that the most dissapointing thing about PF is that you can't talk about religion, but I'll get over it, I also like talking about maths, physics and biology and nothing important and politics and parasychology and that scarey realm philosophy were the inititated appear to be speaking a language I cannot fathom :smile: there all catered for, oh happy day.

20. Aug 2, 2006 #19

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As Warren said, religion simply turned out to be too touchy a subject to allow discussions over, unless it is in a neutral (that is, no value-assigning) way. The reason is that we have a world-wide audience, and you might hurt feelings of people, dragging them into a flame contest which then requires a lot of moderation effort which is wasted for the main purpose of this site, which is to discuss science. We tend to shut down about all activity that requires moderation effort and which doesn't serve the main purpose of this site, and believe me, religion is such a topic.

As stated however, neutral discussions about religion are permitted.
    Saying, for instance, that the Taliban misuse or abuse the Muslim religion in order for them to instore their views is, I'd think, permitted, because it is a criticism of the Taliban, and not of a religion. But it is already borderline.

All non-neutral statements however, are not welcome, not because we don't like them, but they are cause of trouble and use moderation ressources which could be better used on science topics.

You might not know, but the number of preaching zealot posts that we have to eliminate praising Allah, Jehova, Budda, the Lord,... and inviting people to read the Bible, the Quoran, ... is rather large (it seems to come in waves). So things go both ways.

We want to stay religion-neutral, just to avoid the hassle. Not because we want to endorse any PoV.

21. Aug 22, 2010 #20
    'You might not know, but the number of preaching zealot posts that we have to eliminate praising Allah, Jehova, Budda, the Lord,... and inviting people to read the Bible, the Quoran, ... is rather large (it seems to come in waves'
    but the more precisely you know the position of the email in your inbox, the more like a particle it appears.

seriously though, i bumped this for a reason. i really registered here because i am interested in the grand concepts of quantum physics and cosmology, and i want to improve my grasp on them. (I don't speak maths or anything)
    and these ideas are basically and fundamentally religious questions. Is that ok to discuss or am I in the wrong place?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?