Solve Prob: Determine CPR-Certified Teacher Bus Duty Days

• Thread starter Changoo
  • Start date
In summary, assuming that none of the 80 teachers at a local school are ever absent, the teacher on bus duty will likely be certified in CPR for about 81 days out of the 180 days of school, given that 36 of the teachers are certified in CPR. This takes into account the probability of a teacher being on bus duty and the ratio of teachers who know CPR to those who do not.
Changoo
36 of 80 teachers at a local school are certified in CPR. In 180 days of school, assuming none of the teachers were ever absent, about how many days is it that the teacher on bus duty will likely be certified in CPR?

Can someone give some idea of how to solve this problem.

I notice that they want the probability that "the teacher on bus duty will likely be certified in CPR". So it is the probability of one teacher.

I did 180/36 =5 days. But I don't think that is write. I am currently learning discrete probability distributions.

I hope someone can help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me ask you something. How many times (on average) will a certain teacher have to do bus duty? What is the ratio of teachers who know CPR to teachers who don't? What's the probability that "certain teacher" in question knows CPR?

It's just a guess...

1 day: [tex] \left(\frac{36}{80}\right) [/tex]

2 days in a row: [tex] \left(\frac{36}{80}\right)^2 [/tex]

3 days in a row: [tex] \left(\frac{36}{80}\right)^3 [/tex]

Then,

180 days in a row: [tex] \left(\frac{36}{80}\right)^{180} [/tex]

Again, I'm not sure this is correct.

thiago_j said:
It's just a guess...

1 day: [tex] \left(\frac{36}{80}\right) [/tex]

2 days in a row: [tex] \left(\frac{36}{80}\right)^2 [/tex]

3 days in a row: [tex] \left(\frac{36}{80}\right)^3 [/tex]

Then,

180 days in a row: [tex] \left(\frac{36}{80}\right)^{180} [/tex]

Again, I'm not sure this is correct.

What question is that supposed to be the answer to? The question originally asked said nothing about "days in a row".

You're thinking more than you have to. Answer my original questions and I think the answer will jump out you.

That's why I said I wasn't sure. :rofl: Thanks for pointing it out.

How about:

[tex] \left(\frac{36}{80}\right)\cdot 180 = 81 [/tex]

thiago_j said:
That's why I said I wasn't sure. :rofl: Thanks for pointing it out.

How about:

[tex] \left(\frac{36}{80}\right)\cdot 180 = 81 [/tex]

I believe so :)

1. What is the purpose of determining CPR-certified teacher bus duty days?

The purpose of determining CPR-certified teacher bus duty days is to ensure that there are enough teachers who are certified in CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) available to monitor and respond to any cardiac emergencies that may occur on school buses during transportation.

2. Who is responsible for determining the CPR-certified teacher bus duty days?

The responsibility of determining CPR-certified teacher bus duty days typically falls on the school administration or transportation department. They may work with school nurses or other medical professionals to determine the necessary number of CPR-certified teachers.

3. How are CPR-certified teacher bus duty days determined?

CPR-certified teacher bus duty days are determined by assessing the number of school buses in operation, the average number of students on each bus, and the frequency and length of bus routes. This information is then used to calculate the recommended number of CPR-certified teachers needed on bus duty.

4. Are all teachers required to be CPR-certified for bus duty?

No, not all teachers are required to be CPR-certified for bus duty. However, it is recommended that a sufficient number of teachers on each bus have this certification in case of an emergency. Some states or school districts may have specific regulations or requirements for CPR-certified teachers on bus duty.

5. How often should CPR-certified teacher bus duty days be reassessed?

CPR-certified teacher bus duty days should be reassessed at least once a year, or whenever there are changes in the school's transportation system. This ensures that the number of CPR-certified teachers is appropriate and up-to-date with the current bus routes and student population.