Probabilities involving Mins and Maxes

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of probability for the minimum and maximum values of two independent random variables. It is stated that P(Max(X, Y) < 1) = P(X < 1)P(Y < 1) and it is questioned what P(Min(X, Y) < 1) equals. The potential answer of P(Min(X, Y) < 1) = P(X < 1) + P(Y < 1) is discussed, as well as the formula for P(A U B) and the use of order statistics to calculate the distribution of the minimum and maximum values.
muzihc
I know for sure that P(Max(X, Y) < 1) = P(X < 1)P(Y < 1) if the two RVs are independent, but what does P(Min(X, Y) < 1) equal?

Would it be P(Min(X, Y) < 1) = P(X < 1) + P(Y < 1)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
muzihc said:
what does P(Min(X, Y) < 1) equal?
The probability of "X < 1 or Y < 1" involves the union of two sets. Have you sudied the formula for [itex] P(A \cup B) [/itex] ?

muzihc said:
I know for sure that P(Max(X, Y) < 1) = P(X < 1)P(Y < 1) if the two RVs are independent, but what does P(Min(X, Y) < 1) equal?

Thanks

Hey muzihc and welcome to the forums.

Have you ever come across order statistics?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_statistic

Hi,

I've studied P(A or B) = P(A U B) - I had a class in probability/statistics. I've never formally studied order statistics, though maybe I've overlapped with it at some point.

The maximum case is kind of intuitive - if the max is less than t, everything else is. We can treat it as P(A and B), in the independent case. On the other hand, if the minimum is less than t, the other random variable isn't necessarily.

I guess we could use P(Min(X, Y) < t) = 1 - P(Min(X, Y) >= t), in which case I assume it's 1 - P(X >= t)P(Y >= t).

muzihc said:
Hi,

I've studied P(A or B) = P(A U B) - I had a class in probability/statistics. I've never formally studied order statistics, though maybe I've overlapped with it at some point.

The maximum case is kind of intuitive - if the max is less than t, everything else is. We can treat it as P(A and B), in the independent case. On the other hand, if the minimum is less than t, the other random variable isn't necessarily.

I guess we could use P(Min(X, Y) < t) = 1 - P(Min(X, Y) >= t), in which case I assume it's 1 - P(X >= t)P(Y >= t).

Hey muzihc.

Take a look at order statistics. Order statistics helps you calculate the distribution of the minimum and maximum of a value given the number of samples that you have. It will help you in the first part of your question.

muzihc said:
I've studied P(A or B) = P(A U B) - I had a class in probability/statistics.

Let [itex] A = [/itex] the events where X < t [/itex]
Let [itex] B = [/itex] the events where Y < t [/itex]

[itex] P(A \cup B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A \cap B) [/itex]

So for independent events [itex] A [/itex] and [itex] B [/itex]

[itex] P(A \cup B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A) P(B) [/itex]

I agree.

[itex] 1 - (1 - P(A)) (1-P(B)) = 1 - (1 - P(A) - P(B) + P(A)P(B)) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A)P(B) [/itex]

As chiro says, "order statistics" are the topic you should study if you want to tackle more complicated versions of the situation. For example: "In a sample of 4 values drawn from 4 independent random variables A,B,C,D, what is the probability that the second largest value is less than 1?"

1. What does the term "min" mean in probability?

The term "min" refers to the minimum value or the smallest possible value in a set of numbers or data. In probability, it can represent the lowest possible outcome or event in a given situation.

2. How is the maximum value determined in probability?

The maximum value in probability is determined by finding the highest possible outcome or event in a given situation. This can be calculated using mathematical formulas or by analyzing the range of values in a set of data.

3. What is the relationship between min and max in probability?

The relationship between min and max in probability is that they represent the boundaries or extreme values in a set of data. The min represents the lower bound, while the max represents the upper bound.

4. How are min and max used in probability calculations?

Min and max are used in probability calculations to determine the range of possible outcomes or events in a given situation. They can also be used to calculate the probability of a specific outcome falling within a certain range or between the min and max values.

5. Can min and max be affected by outliers in a dataset?

Yes, min and max can be affected by outliers in a dataset. Outliers are extreme values that are significantly higher or lower than the rest of the data. These values can skew the min and max values, making them less representative of the overall dataset.