Probability a determinant is odd

In summary, the probability of an nxn matrix having a determinant that is odd when working mod 2 is equal to (1-(1/2)^n)P(n-1), where P(n) is the probability that the matrix has a determinant equal to 1 and Q(n) is the probability that the first column is all 0's. The (n-1)x(n-1) submatrix induced by deleting row i and column 0 is still random, with a probability of 1/2 of having a 0 in any of its elements.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] probability a determinant is odd

Homework Statement

The elements of a determinant are arbitrary integers. Determine the probability that the value of the determinant is odd. (Hint: Work mod 2).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When n=1, the probability is 1/2. When n = 2, the probability is 3/8. That is the last case I can do by hand. I am trying to find a recursion, but that is hard as the following example illustrates.

For n=3, if you expand along the first column, you can multiply the probability that a_{11} is odd by the probability that its cofactor is odd and than do the same for a_{21} and a_{31}. You can ignore the sign of the cofactor because we are working mod 2. So, we can just add these three terms.

It would be nice if you could apply the n=2 case to the cofactors, but the probability the cofactor of a_{11} is odd is not independent of the probability that the a_{21} cofactor is odd, so I don't think that you can just replace those probabilities by P_{n-1}.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Let P(n) be the probability an nxn matrix has 0 determinant mod 2. Do a row reduction on the first column. Add rows until there is a single 1 and the rest 0's. Let Q(n) be the probability you cannot do this (i.e. the whole first column is 0's). Argue that the (n-1)x(n-1) minor is still a random matrix mod 2. So the probability P(n)=Q(n)+(1-Q(n))P(n-1). Test it. Q(2)=1/4, P(1)=1/2, so P(2)=1/4+(3/4)*(1/2)=5/8.

Last edited:
Here is the complete proof:

Consider a random random n by n matrix mod 2.

Let P(n) be the probability an nxn matrix has determinant equal to 1.
Let Q(n) be the probability that every element in the first column is a 0. In this case the determinant is 0.

If there are any 1s in the first column, select one, say a_{i0}. Add a_i to every other row that has a one in the first column. I claim that the (n-1)by(n-1) submatrix induced by deleting row i and column 0 is still random. To prove this, I need to show that the probability of having a 0 in any of its elements is exactly 1/2. Let a_jk be a given a element in this submatrix. The probability that a_jk is 0 after our row reductions is:

P(a_jk=0)*P(a_j0 = 0)+P(a_jk= 0)*P(a_j0 = 1)*P(a_ik=0)+P(a_jk = 1)*P(a_j0 = 1)*P(a_ik=1) =1/2*1/2+1/2*1/2*1/2+1/2*1/2*1/2 = 1/4+1/8+1/8=1/2

where each of the probabilities are for the INITIAL RANDOM MATRIX.

Therefore, 1-P(n) = Q(n)+(1-Q(n))(1-P(n-1)).

Q(n)=(1/2)^n P(1)=1/2.
The answer is then P(n) = 1 - (1/2)^n +((1/2)^n-1)(1-P(n-1)) = ((1/2)^n-1)(-1+1-P(n-1))=(1-(1/2)^n)P(n-1).

Last edited:
Seems ok to me. I don't much like the 'proof' that the (n-1)x(n-1) submatrix is truly 'random' but I can't think of anything better without getting long winded. The row operations are reversible and the first column is independent of the other columns so it's sort of 'obvious'.

I don't see anything wrong with my proof that the (n-1)x(n-1) submatrix is random. I edited that post, so maybe you read the old version.

That I don't 'like' it doesn't mean I don't accept it. You don't have a formal definition of a 'random' matrix either, so I don't think it's worth putting a lot of worry time in. Let's just stick with what you have.

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. How do you calculate the probability of a determinant being odd?

The probability of a determinant being odd is equal to the number of odd determinants divided by the total number of possible determinants. This can be calculated by using the formula P(odd) = n(odd) / n(total), where n(odd) is the number of odd determinants and n(total) is the total number of possible determinants.

3. What is the significance of determining if a determinant is odd?

Determining if a determinant is odd can be useful in many applications, such as in linear algebra, statistics, and probability theory. It can help in solving systems of equations, finding the inverse of a matrix, and predicting outcomes in probabilistic scenarios.

4. Can a determinant be both odd and even?

No, a determinant can only be either odd or even. This is because the parity of a determinant is determined by the number of row and column swaps required to transform it into its reduced row-echelon form. If an even number of swaps is needed, the determinant is even, and if an odd number of swaps is needed, the determinant is odd.

5. How does the concept of odd determinants relate to the concept of odd numbers?

The concept of odd determinants is similar to the concept of odd numbers in that both refer to numbers that cannot be divided evenly by 2. Just like how an odd number is always one more or one less than an even number, an odd determinant is always one row or column swap away from being even. Additionally, both odd numbers and odd determinants have a parity that can be determined by their binary representation.