1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability a system S will be in a quantum state i with energy ei. (Theory)

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    Consider a system S in contact with a reservoir R at a temperature [itex]\tau[/itex]. The number of particles N and the volume V are fixed.

A: Give the probability that S will be in a quantum state i with energy [itex]\epsilon_i[/itex]. Your probability should be normalized. Define any quantities you introduce.

B: If there are n different quantum states with the same energy [itex]\epsilon[/itex], what is the normalized probability S will have an energy [itex]\epsilon[/itex]?

2. Relevant equations

Not sure but I think it ought to involve

Partition function: [itex]Z = \sum_i e^{-\epsilon_i/\tau}[/itex]

[itex]P(\epsilon_i)=\frac{e^{-\epsilon_i/\tau}}{Z}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly don't even know where to start. Our lecturer says we went over this in class but we really didn't. A shove in the right direction would be really appreciated.

What is confusing me about it is the wording. We want the probability that the system S is in a particular quantum state i, which happens to have energy [itex]\epsilon[/itex], rather than the probability that the system has energy [itex]\epsilon_i[/itex]. I don't know how to do this without more information.

Ultimately, in later parts of the question, we have to disattach and reattach the reservoirs, then derive the expression [itex]U=\tau^2 \frac{\partial \log Z}{\partial \tau}[/itex] if that helps any. But those parts I think I can get once I know what we are doing.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted