Probability a system S will be in a quantum state i with energy ei. (Theory)

In summary, probability is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the likelihood of finding a system in a particular state. It is calculated using wave functions and is influenced by the energy level of a system. The probability of a system being in a certain state can change over time, and can be experimentally determined through measurements.
anotherghost
Consider a system S in contact with a reservoir R at a temperature [itex]\tau[/itex]. The number of particles N and the volume V are fixed.

A: Give the probability that S will be in a quantum state i with energy [itex]\epsilon_i[/itex]. Your probability should be normalized. Define any quantities you introduce.

B: If there are n different quantum states with the same energy [itex]\epsilon[/itex], what is the normalized probability S will have an energy [itex]\epsilon[/itex]?

Homework Equations

Not sure but I think it ought to involve

Partition function: [itex]Z = \sum_i e^{-\epsilon_i/\tau}[/itex]

[itex]P(\epsilon_i)=\frac{e^{-\epsilon_i/\tau}}{Z}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't even know where to start. Our lecturer says we went over this in class but we really didn't. A shove in the right direction would be really appreciated.

What is confusing me about it is the wording. We want the probability that the system S is in a particular quantum state i, which happens to have energy [itex]\epsilon[/itex], rather than the probability that the system has energy [itex]\epsilon_i[/itex]. I don't know how to do this without more information.

Ultimately, in later parts of the question, we have to disattach and reattach the reservoirs, then derive the expression [itex]U=\tau^2 \frac{\partial \log Z}{\partial \tau}[/itex] if that helps any. But those parts I think I can get once I know what we are doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
A: The probability that S will be in the quantum state i with energy \epsilon_i is given by the expression: P(\epsilon_i) = \frac{e^{-\epsilon_i/\tau}}{\sum_i e^{-\epsilon_i/\tau}}. This expression is normalized, meaning that the probability of being in any quantum state is guaranteed to be between 0 and 1, and the sum of all the probabilities of being in any quantum state is equal to 1.B: The probability that S will have an energy \epsilon is given by the expression: P(\epsilon) = \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i \in \epsilon} \frac{e^{-\epsilon_i/\tau}}{\sum_i e^{-\epsilon_i/\tau}}, where n is the number of states with energy \epsilon. This expression is also normalized, guaranteeing that the probability of having an energy \epsilon is between 0 and 1 and the sum of all the probabilities of having any energy is equal to 1.

1. What is the significance of probability in quantum mechanics?

Probability is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the likelihood of finding a system in a particular state. It is used to calculate the likelihood of a system being in a certain state based on its energy level, and plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.

2. How is probability calculated in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, probability is calculated using the mathematical framework of wave functions. The square of the wave function, known as the probability amplitude, gives the probability of finding a system in a particular state. The overall probability of a system being in a certain state is determined by taking into account all possible states and their corresponding probability amplitudes.

3. How does the energy of a system affect its probability of being in a particular state?

The energy of a system directly influences its probability of being in a certain state. In quantum mechanics, energy is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. The higher the energy level of a system, the higher the probability of it being in a particular state with that energy level.

4. Can the probability of a system being in a certain state change over time?

Yes, the probability of a system being in a certain state can change over time. This is because the wave function of a system evolves over time, and as a result, the probability amplitudes and overall probability of a system being in a particular state can change. This is known as quantum dynamics and is a key aspect of understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

5. How is the probability of a system being in a certain state experimentally determined?

The probability of a system being in a certain state can be experimentally determined through measurements. In quantum mechanics, measurements collapse the wave function of a system, resulting in the system being in a specific state. By repeatedly measuring a system and recording the outcomes, the probability of it being in a particular state can be determined.