Probability and Expected value

In summary: The expected value of a black card is 5*[(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]-15. If you lose 15 points with certainty for any black card then the expected value of a black card is 0.
Ethers0n
This is for a discrete math homework set.

1. Suppose the cards in a deck are given the following values: Ace has value 1, two has value 2,..., ten has value 10, Jack has value 11, Queen has value 12, and King has value 13. A player selects a card. If it is a heart, the player receives half the value of the card. If it is a diamond, the player receives twice the value of the card. If the card is black the player loses 15 What is the player's expected value in the game?

2. I'm having issue dealing with the black cards in my attempted solution.

3. I am going about the solution in this manner
(52choose1 )* .5(13choose1)*2(13choose1)*[the value obtained from the -15 points and 26choose1]

Am I approaching this question correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are doing looks much too complicated and I see no "probability" in your formula at all. Here's how I would do it:

First, assuming the card drawn is a diamond, what is the expected value? What is the probability of drawing a diamond?

Second, assuming the card drawn is a heart, what is the expected value? What is the probability of drawing a heart?

Finally, assuming the card drawn is black, the expected value is -15. What is the probability of drawing a black card?

so the probability of drawing a heart or a diamond is 1/4
the probability of drawing a black card is 1/2

The expected value once a heart is drawn is [(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]*2
The '*2' because of the problem definition.
The expected value once a diamond is drawn is [(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]

The expected value once a black card is drawn is [(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]-10
The '-10' term is from the problem definition.

would that mean then that the total expected value would then just be
.25*[(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]*2 + [(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)] + [[(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]-10]?

The expected value of a heart would not be multiplied by 2 since you are receiving half the value, divide by 2 instead. You forgot to multiply by .25 and by 2 the expected value of the diamonds and finally the expected value of the black cards has nothing to do with their actual value. Since the probability of getting a black card is 1/2 and the value you get for a black card is -15 your expected value is...?

Ethers0n said:
so the probability of drawing a heart or a diamond is 1/4
the probability of drawing a black card is 1/2

The expected value once a heart is drawn is [(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]*2
The '*2' because of the problem definition.
Then you had better go back and read your problem again. You told us
" If it is a heart, the player receives half the value of the card."

The expected value once a diamond is drawn is [(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]
"If it is a diamond, the player receives twice the value of the card. "

The expected value once a black card is drawn is [(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]-10
The '-10' term is from the problem definition.

would that mean then that the total expected value would then just be
.25*[(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]*2 + [(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)] + [[(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]-10]?

ah, it looks like I switched those.

.25*[(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]*2 + .25*[(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]*.5 + .5*[(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]-15]

is this correct then?

Yes. And it looks to me like you really want to know what 1+ 2+ ...+ 12+ 13 is!

:P
yes I could add that up, but I tend to leave things written out like that so that I can quickly see where I got it from (to double check my work)
thank you!

If you lose 15 points with certainty for any black card then why do you still need the expected value of a black card in your calculation:
5*[(13+12+11+...+2+1)/13)]-15]

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood or chance that a certain event will occur. It is typically expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

What is expected value?

Expected value is a concept in probability that represents the average outcome of a random event over a large number of trials. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and summing them all together.

How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you roll a six-sided die and want to calculate the probability of rolling a 3, you would divide 1 (the number of favorable outcomes) by 6 (the total number of possible outcomes), resulting in a probability of 1/6 or 0.167.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. On the other hand, experimental probability is based on actual data collected from conducting experiments or observing events. It may differ from theoretical probability due to chance or other factors.

What is the law of large numbers?

The law of large numbers states that as the number of trials or experiments increases, the experimental probability of an event will approach the theoretical probability. In other words, the more times an experiment is repeated, the more likely the results will reflect the expected outcomes.