Probability Books for beginner?

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of Probability Theory and the individuals are discussing different books and resources for beginners to learn the subject. Some recommended books include YA Rozanov's "Probability Theory: A Concise Course", "Introduction to Probability Theory" by Paul G. Hoel, and "Probability Theory: A Comprehensive Course" by Achim Klenke. Additionally, one individual recommends a website with interactive applets for studying the subject.
Niflheim
Hello all, I have recently become very interested in Probability Theory, but I have NO real experience in it thus far. I am currently reading YA Rozanov's Probability Theory: A Concise Course, and I love it; it is a very well written book, and though I do have difficulty understanding some of it it is a nice challenge and I enjoy it even though I often have to reread the same part several times to understand it.

So what would be some good books/textbooks for basic, introductory probability theory? Thanks for any and all responses!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
That does help, thanks a lot!

I recommend the following site: http://www.math.uah.edu/stat/index.html It has a lot of elementary and advanced results with many examples and explanations. The best thing are the interactive applets that you get to study!

Likes slider142
That website looks super good, thanks

1. What is probability and why is it important?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood or chance that an event will occur. It is important because it allows us to make predictions and decisions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes. It is also essential in fields such as statistics, economics, and science.

2. What are the basic concepts of probability?

The basic concepts of probability include sample space, events, and probabilities. The sample space is the set of all possible outcomes of an experiment. Events are subsets of the sample space, and probabilities assign a numerical value to the likelihood of an event occurring.

3. How do I calculate probabilities?

The calculation of probabilities depends on the type of experiment and the information available. In simple experiments, the probability can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. In more complex experiments, we use rules and formulas such as the addition rule, multiplication rule, and Bayes' theorem.

4. What are some common applications of probability?

Probability is used in various fields, including gambling, insurance, weather forecasting, and risk management. It is also used in everyday decision-making, such as choosing the most likely route to work based on traffic patterns or deciding whether to invest in a stock based on its past performance.

5. Are there any recommended books for beginners to learn about probability?

Yes, some popular books for beginners include "Introduction to Probability" by Blitzstein and Hwang, "Probability: For the Enthusiastic Beginner" by Morin, and "The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable" by Taleb. It is also recommended to supplement your reading with online resources and practice problems to deepen your understanding of the subject.