Probability conversions from P10 to P70

• Thread starter dale2k9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: How do the probability distributions vary among different kinds of software projects?In summary, the conversation discusses the use of P10, P50, and P90 estimates in software development projects. The speaker is seeking advice on how to convert a P10 estimate to a P70 estimate, but is unsure of the best approach given the lack of statistical data. The conversation also touches on the possibility of using mathematical analysis to solve the problem and the potential limitations of this approach.
dale2k9
I'm a software developer. We do estimates based on a P10, P50, or P90 where the P10 assumes that the actual time to complete a task is going to be the estimated amount or vary by no more than plus or minus 90 per cent. A P50 means that the actual will vary from the estimate by no more than 50 per cent, and a P90 will vary by no more than 10 per cent.

For a large set of projects, approximately 500, we're being asked to provide a P70 but we don't have any statistical data or practice for providing a P70 estimate. We have completed P10s for each of these 500 projects. For the most part, we care about resource planning and budget across the set of projects, not any individual project.

What I would like to know is if there is any standard way or common way in dealing with statistics and probability to convert a P10 mathematically to a P70? What I suggested to my boss is to take the P10 * 1.9 to get the worst case estimate and multiply that by .7 to get to a reasonable P70. So the formula would be P10*1.9*.7 or P10*1.33.

That would not account for the possibility of the actuals for some projects being under by 90 per cent (that's not going to happen); it assumes that all errors are on the up side but I think senior management cares more about that risk than they do about the downside.

Any help or suggestions on how this could be done is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dale

Physics news on Phys.org
dale2k9 said:
I'm a software developer.

There's something ironic about a software developer not having software to solve a problem!

I don't know what approach your company uses in analyzing problems. Some approaches are not based on a mathematical analysis. Instead they use rules of thumb and procedures that have been adopted because of the tastes and experiences of various people. I'm not a software development forecaster, so I can't say how your proposed answer fits into such traditions.

If you want to do the analysis as a mathematical problem, you must know or assume enough "givens" to get an answer. It isn't clear to me whether you have assumed that the time to complete a software project is a random variable that has a probability distribution from a particular family of distributions (such as lognormal distributions). It isn't clear to me what it means to classify something as a "P10". For example if your say "Project Y has estimated time of 60 hrs to complete as a P10", do you really mean that there is exactly zero probability that it will take longer than 60 + (.90)(60) hours? That would rule out using many familiar families of probability distributions (such as lognormal).

If your company has done an analysis of time-spent data from completed software projects, it should know something about the probability distributions involved. What kind of distributions model the data well?

What is "Probability conversions from P10 to P70"?

Probability conversions from P10 to P70 is a mathematical process used to convert a probability value from P10 (the 10th percentile) to P70 (the 70th percentile). This process is often used in statistics and data analysis to compare different datasets.

Why is it important to convert probabilities from P10 to P70?

Converting probabilities from P10 to P70 allows for easier comparison between datasets with different distributions. It also provides a more accurate representation of the data by taking into account the full range of values rather than just the lowest or highest values.

How is the conversion from P10 to P70 calculated?

The conversion from P10 to P70 is calculated using the cumulative distribution function (CDF) of the probability distribution. This function calculates the probability of a random variable being less than or equal to a certain value. By finding the CDF values for P10 and P70, the conversion can be calculated using simple algebraic equations.

Can the conversion from P10 to P70 be applied to any type of data?

Yes, the conversion from P10 to P70 can be applied to any type of data that follows a probability distribution. This includes continuous data such as height or weight, as well as discrete data such as number of siblings or test scores.

Are there any limitations to using the P10 to P70 conversion?

While the P10 to P70 conversion can be useful in many cases, it may not always provide a complete picture of the data. For example, if the data has extreme outliers, the conversion may not accurately represent the majority of the data. It is important to consider the distribution of the data and the purpose of the analysis when using this conversion.