Probability dice roll Question

In summary, the probability of obtaining a 2 on the red die, and 5 and 6 on the two green dice is 5/54. The different possible outcomes are taken into account by multiplying (1/6)(5/6) by 2, since the red die is distinguishable from the other two green dice.
Lyn05
Hello! I need help on yet another probability question..

Question:
A red dice has the number 1 on one face, the number 2 on two faces and the number 3 on three faces. Two green dice each has the number 6 on one face and the number 5 on five faces. The three dice are thrown together.

Calculate the probability of obtaining 2 on the red dice, 5 and 6 on the two green dice.

I know that...

P(2 on red dice)= 2/6

P(5 and 6 on the two green dice)
= 2(5/6 X 1/6)
= 5/18

But here's where my confusion sprouts from. The different possible outcomes are:
2 on red, 5 on G-1 and 6 on G-2, or
2 on red, 5 on G-2 and 6 on G-1.

where G-1 and G-2 are the green dices.

I'm not sure if

(A)I should count the "2 on red" once, since the events for the red dice are independent of the other dices,i.e.

P(obtaining 2 on red,5 and 6 on green dice)
= 2/6 X 5/18
= 5/54

Or (B)Add the probabilities of the possible outcomes together, which will get me...

P(obtaining 2 on red,5 and 6 on green dice)
= 2(2/6 X 5/18)
= 5/27

Sorry if this post is confusing..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The probability of a 2 on the red die (not "dice"- that is plural) is 2/6= 1/3 and the probability of 6 on a red dies is 1/6, probability of 5 on the other green die is 5/6 just as you say. So the probability of "2, 5, 6", in that order, is (1/3)(5/6)(1/6)= 5/108. The probability of "2, 6, 5", in that order, is (1/3)(1/6)(5/6)= 5/108 also. The probability of either order for the two green dice is 5/108+ 5/108= 2(5/108)= 5/54.

You had already taken the two different orders into account when you multiplied (1/6)(5/6) by 2. You do NOT have to take different positions of the red die (say, GGR or RGG or GRG) into account because that die is distinguishable from the other two green dice.

Oh..I see. Thank you very much! And sorry for the language error..

1. What is the probability of rolling a specific number on a standard six-sided die?

The probability of rolling a specific number on a standard six-sided die is 1/6 or approximately 16.67%. This is because there are six possible outcomes (numbers 1-6) and only one of those outcomes will result in the desired number.

2. What is the probability of rolling a certain combination of numbers on two dice?

The probability of rolling a certain combination of numbers on two dice can be calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes that result in the desired combination by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, the probability of rolling a total of 7 on two dice is 6/36 or 1/6.

3. How does the probability of rolling a specific number change if multiple dice are rolled?

The probability of rolling a specific number on multiple dice is equal to the probability of rolling that number on one die multiplied by the number of dice rolled. For example, the probability of rolling a 6 on two dice is 1/6 x 2 = 1/3 or approximately 33.33%.

4. What is the expected number of rolls needed to get a specific result on a single die?

The expected number of rolls needed to get a specific result on a single die is six. This is because the probability of getting the desired result on one roll is 1/6, so on average, it would take six rolls to get the desired result.

5. How does the probability of rolling a certain number change if the dice are not fair?

If the dice are not fair (meaning each outcome is not equally likely), then the probability of rolling a certain number will change. For example, if a die is weighted to favor rolling a 6, the probability of rolling a 6 will be higher than 1/6. The exact change in probability will depend on the degree of unfairness of the dice.