Expected Number of Rolls to Throw Away Both Dice?

• Thread starter bigplanet401
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the expected number of times you roll the dice in this game is 8.7. This can be calculated by finding the expected value of the maximum of the two times it takes each die to roll a 6, which can be done by conditioning.
bigplanet401

Homework Statement

You roll two dice at the same time. Each time you get a 6 on a die you should throw it away and roll the other one. Otherwise, you keep rolling both of them. The game is over when you throw away both dice. What is the expected number of times you roll?

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried defining a random variable called Y that has the form

[tex]
Y = \mathbf{T} \cdot \mathbf{X}
[/tex]

This is the dot product between random vectors X and T,
where X = (X1 X2 X3) and T = (T1 T2 T3). Here T1 has value 1 if there's no 6 and zero otherwise. T2 has value 1 if there's one 6 and zero otherwise. T3 has value 1 if there are two sixes and zero otherwise. I'm thinking the X_i should be Bernoulli random variables, but am not sure. A monte-carlo simulation gives me 8.7, and I think this is right, but I have to show it analytically.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The number of rolls it takes each die to get a 6 is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_distribution" . You just need to compute the expected value of the maximum of the two times, which is easy by conditioning. (It's actually easier than that.)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is probability?

Probability is the likelihood of a particular event occurring, expressed as a number between 0 and 1.

How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you roll a six-sided die, the probability of rolling a 3 is 1/6 because there is only one desired outcome (rolling a 3) out of six possible outcomes (rolling a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6).

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data from repeated trials and may differ from theoretical probability due to chance or random variation.

What is the probability of rolling a specific number on a pair of dice?

The probability of rolling a specific number (such as a 7) on a pair of dice is 1/6, since there are six possible outcomes (1+6, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3, 5+2, 6+1) and only one of them adds up to the desired number.

How does the number of dice affect the probability of rolling a certain number?

The more dice you roll, the higher the probability of rolling a certain number. For example, if you roll two dice, the probability of rolling a 7 is 1/6, but if you roll three dice, the probability increases to 1/4. This is because there are more possible combinations (e.g. 1+3+3, 2+2+3, 1+1+5) that could add up to the desired number.