Probability of being in ground & 1st excited state of widened infinite well

In summary, the particle is initially in the ground state of a one-dimensional infinite square well extending from x=0 to x=L/2. Suddenly, the right hand wall of the well is moved to x=L. The probability that the particle is in the ground state of the widened well is found to be E_n = \dfrac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2 m L}. The probability that the particle is in the second state of the widened well is found to be p(E_2) = \dfrac{2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{m L}.
Vighnahara

Homework Statement

A particle is initially in the ground state of a one-dimensional infinite square well extending from [tex]x=0[/tex] to [tex]x = L/2[/tex]. Its wave function, correctly normalized, is given by [tex]\psi (x) = \dfrac{2}{\sqrt{L}} \sin{(\dfrac{2 \pi x}{L})}}[/tex] for [tex]0 \leq x \leq L/2[/tex]

Suddenly, the right hand wall of the well is moved to [tex] x = L [/tex]

(a) Find the probability that the particle is in the ground state of the widened well.
(b) Find the probability that the particle is in the second state of the widened well.

Homework Equations

[tex]E_n = \dfrac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2 m L}[/tex] for a particle in an infinite well from [tex] x=0[/tex] to [tex]x=L[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming there's something like [tex]\Sigma_{n=0}^\inifinity p(E_n) = 1[/tex], i.e. that the particle has to be in SOME energy state. And I'm looking for [tex]p(E_1)[/tex] and [tex]p(E_2)[/tex]. I'm also assuming that the particle is initially at the ground state energy for the [tex]x=0..L/2[/tex] box, but I'm not sure how to put this together into the probability of a different energy state of the new system. Also, for [tex]x=0..L[/tex], I have [tex]E_1 = \dfrac{\pi^2 \hbar^2}{2 m L}[/tex] and [tex]E_2 = \dfrac{2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{m L}[/tex] so the particle from the [tex]x=0..L/2[/tex] box is part-way between these two energy states and would have to resolve into one of them. It's closer to [tex]E_1[/tex] than [tex]E_2[/tex] so intuitively, I would expect [tex]p(E_1)>p(E_2)[/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The energy eigenvalues are less important than the actual wavefunctions for the new well. Determine the new energy eigenfunctions and write the original state in terms of them.

So I got a hold of my prof who advised to do [tex]<\phi | \phi_1>[/tex]... and that "worked" in that it gave me an answer... now my new question is: if I do this for [tex]\phi_1, \phi_2, \phi_3, ...[/tex], I get answers that sum to >1. Should I be normalizing these somehow? Or are some energy transitions "forbidden" ?

What is the probability of being in the ground state of a widened infinite well?

The probability of being in the ground state of a widened infinite well depends on the specific dimensions of the well and the energy of the system. However, in general, the ground state has the highest probability of being occupied compared to any other excited state.

What is the probability of being in the 1st excited state of a widened infinite well?

The probability of being in the 1st excited state of a widened infinite well also depends on the specific dimensions and energy of the system. However, it will have a lower probability of being occupied compared to the ground state.

How does the probability of being in the ground state change as the width of the infinite well increases?

As the width of the infinite well increases, the probability of being in the ground state decreases. This is because a wider well allows for more energy levels and thus a higher chance of occupying an excited state.

How does the energy of the system affect the probability of being in a specific state?

The energy of the system directly impacts the probability of being in a specific state. As the energy increases, the probability of being in an excited state increases and the probability of being in the ground state decreases.

What is the significance of the probability of being in a specific state in a widened infinite well?

The probability of being in a specific state in a widened infinite well gives insight into the behavior of a quantum system and its energy levels. It also helps to understand the distribution of particles within the well and their likelihood of occupying different energy states.