Probability of finding a particle [concept behind it]

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding the probability of a particle being in a given interval, both at a specific time (t=0) and at any time (t). The speaker notes that mathematically, both methods are correct and equivalent, but is struggling to understand the underlying physics behind this concept. They question why the probability at t=0 cannot be found directly from the initial state function, and seek clarification on the intuition behind this.
catsarebad
okay so I'm having a bit hard time understanding this:

i get that probability of finding a particle in between [a,b] is integral (over a,b) (Ψ(x,t)*)Ψ(x,t) dx.

however, can it also be integral (over a,b) of (Ψ(x,0)*)Ψ(x,0) dx?

if not, why?

i saw an example where Ψ(x,0) was given and problem asked user to find prob between some interval. i noticed that the example found Ψ(x,t) first (using usual unitary operator e^(-ikE/h)). i don't understand why it can't be found right away from Ψ(x,0).

thanks a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org
They are both correct. The second one is simply the first at time t=0.

Thanks
Bill

oh i see. mathematically, i suppose e^(-i) part always goes away so they have to be equal.

in terms of physics, could you give a quick reasoning for why this is true? why is the probability of finding a particle in interval [a,b] the same as the probability of finding the particle at time t=0 in same interval [a,b]? kinds having a hard time putting intuition behind it.
thanks.

catsarebad said:
why is the probability of finding a particle in interval [a,b] the same as the probability of finding the particle at time t=0 in same interval [a,b]? kinds having a hard time putting intuition behind it.
It isn't.

Why would you think such a thing?

Thanks
Bill

What is the concept behind finding a particle?

The concept behind finding a particle is known as probability. This refers to the likelihood or chance of finding a specific particle in a given space or environment. Probability is based on mathematical calculations and can range from 0 (impossible) to 1 (certain).

How is probability calculated for finding a particle?

Probability for finding a particle is calculated using a formula that takes into account the total number of particles present in a given space and the number of particles that match the specific characteristics or properties being searched for. This formula is known as the probability distribution function.

What factors influence the probability of finding a particle?

The probability of finding a particle can be influenced by several factors, including the composition and properties of the environment it is being searched in, the size and characteristics of the particle itself, and any external forces or interactions that may affect its movement or presence.

How does the uncertainty principle affect the probability of finding a particle?

The uncertainty principle, a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This means that the probability of finding a particle in a given space is not a certainty, but rather a range of likelihoods based on the particle's uncertain state.

What are the practical applications of understanding the probability of finding a particle?

Understanding the probability of finding a particle has many practical applications in fields such as particle physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows scientists to make predictions and calculations about the behavior and movement of particles, which can inform technological advancements and further our understanding of the natural world.