Probability of rolling a sum of 6 before a 7 or 9

In summary, The conversation discusses the probability of rolling a 6 in a game where the end is determined by rolling either a 6, 7, or 9. The probability is found to be 0.5357, but it is argued that this is incorrect due to mistakes in the calculation. The correct probability is determined to be 0.35 by considering the event of not rolling a 6, 7, or 9 as a single event. The conversation also addresses the dependency of events and the calculation of probabilities for multiple turns.
DanielJackins
Having a lot of trouble with this question.

So first I tried making an equation, and I wrote that the probability = P(rolling a 6)+P(rolling a 6 and not a 7 on the first roll and not a 9 on the first roll) + P(rolling a 6 and not a 7 on the first roll and not a 9 on the first roll and not a 7 on the second roll and not a 9 on the second roll) + ...

At this point I said let P(6) = x, P(not a 7) = y, P(not a 9) = z.

So I have P= x+xyz+xy^2z^2+... Factor out the x;
x(1+yz+y^2z^2+...)

Then I rewrote that as x*the sum of (y^i)(z^i) from i = 0 to infinity. Using an identity I got this to be x*[1/(1-yz)]. I subbed the numbers into that, and got .5357 as an answer. Now, I don't know what the correct answer is but that seems wrong to me.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you are throwing two dice, and that the game ends once the sum is 6, 7 or 9, and that you seek the probability for the game to end with a 6.

If the game ends after the first throw, can you find the probability for a 6?

What can be said about the next throw, and the ones thereafter? (the same)

If you need to be further convinced, write down, and compute, the corresponding infinite sum of probabilities, and you will again get the same answer.

So I do have the right answer?

You first mistake is that the events of not having a 9, and of not having a 7, are not independent, so you can't multiply them. Your second mistake is that the the event of getting the 6 on the second roll requires no 9, 7, OR 6 on the first roll.

If instead we have the single event: w = "the probability the roll is not a 9 or a 7 or a 6" then the probability is
(x + xw + xw^2 + xw^3 + ...) = x (1 / (1-w))
substituting x = 5/36, w = (1 - (3/36 + 6/36 + 5/36)), the probability is 0.35.

DanielJackins said:
So I do have the right answer?

Sir, I had to make a guess at what your question was, so I suggest you first clear that up. Assuming for a moment that my guess was correct, and that we are throwing two dice, and that you are aware that throwing 7 is the most likely, I do not understand how you can possibly consider the chance of getting a 6 first to be more than 53%.

mXSCNT said:
You first mistake is that the events of not having a 9, and of not having a 7, are not independent, so you can't multiply them. Your second mistake is that the the event of getting the 6 on the second roll requires no 9, 7, OR 6 on the first roll.

If instead we have the single event: w = "the probability the roll is not a 9 or a 7 or a 6" then the probability is
(x + xw + xw^2 + xw^3 + ...) = x (1 / (1-w))
substituting x = 5/36, w = (1 - (3/36 + 6/36 + 5/36)), the probability is 0.35.

You should have another go at correcting your answer. But you are getting closer. (Whats the chance of throwing 9?)

Okay, that makes sense now (mostly). Wouldn't x and w be dependent as well?

DanielJackins said:
Okay, that makes sense now (mostly). Wouldn't x and w be dependent as well?

no. in the expression (x + xw + xw^2 + xw^3 + ...)

w in xw is the probability 6,7 or 9 wasn't thrown on the first turn, and x is the probability 6 is thrown on the second turn. These are independent.

in xw^2, w^2 is the probabiltiy 6,7 or 9 wasn't thrown the first two turns, and x is the probability 6 is thrown the 3rd turn etc.

The addition of x,xw,xw^2 etc. is all right too, as these are the probablities of the mutually exclusive events that a 6 is thrown first on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd,... turns

Related to Probability of rolling a sum of 6 before a 7 or 9

1. What is the probability of rolling a sum of 6 before a 7 or 9?

The probability of rolling a sum of 6 before a 7 or 9 depends on the type of dice being used. If two standard six-sided dice are being rolled, the probability is 5/36 or approximately 13.89%. If two ten-sided dice are being rolled, the probability is 1/8 or 12.5%.

2. How do you calculate the probability of rolling a sum of 6 before a 7 or 9?

To calculate the probability of rolling a sum of 6 before a 7 or 9, you can use the formula P(6 before 7 or 9) = P(6)/[P(6) + P(7 or 9)]. The probability of rolling a 6 is 5/36 and the probability of rolling a 7 or 9 is 6/36, so the calculation would be 5/36 / (5/36 + 6/36) = 5/11 or approximately 45.45%.

3. Is the probability of rolling a sum of 6 before a 7 or 9 affected by the number of dice being rolled?

Yes, the probability of rolling a sum of 6 before a 7 or 9 is affected by the number of dice being rolled. The more dice being rolled, the higher the probability of rolling a 6 before a 7 or 9. For example, if three standard six-sided dice are being rolled, the probability is 91/216 or approximately 42.13%.

4. Can the probability of rolling a sum of 6 before a 7 or 9 be affected by changing the values on the dice?

Yes, the probability of rolling a sum of 6 before a 7 or 9 can be affected by changing the values on the dice. For example, if one of the dice has a different number of sides, the probability will change. Similarly, if the dice are weighted or biased, the probability will also be affected.

5. How does the probability of rolling a sum of 6 before a 7 or 9 compare to other probabilities in the game of dice?

The probability of rolling a sum of 6 before a 7 or 9 is relatively low compared to other probabilities in the game of dice. For example, the probability of rolling a sum of 7 with two standard six-sided dice is 6/36 or approximately 16.67%, which is higher than the probability of rolling a sum of 6 before a 7 or 9. Additionally, the probability of rolling a sum of 7 before a 6 or 8 is 2/5 or 40%, which is significantly higher than the probability of rolling a sum of 6 before a 7 or 9.