Probability problem, central limit theorm/binomial

In summary, the question asks for the probability of a student guessing between 120 to 140 correct answers on a 200-question true-false test. This can be solved using the central limit theorem and binomial distribution, with a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 7.07. By converting the given values to z-scores and finding the areas under the normal curve using a table, the probability can be calculated to be between 0.195 and 0.4051. To find the final probability, the two numbers must be subtracted.
subopolois

Homework Statement

if a student writes a true-false test and guesses each answer, what is the probability that he can get 120 to 140 correct answers if there are 200 questions on the test?

Homework Equations

central limit theorm and binomial distribution
my teacher game me a chart that gives area under a normal curve for given z-values ranging from 3.4 to -3.4

The Attempt at a Solution

what i have so far is: n= 200 np(mean)= (0.5)(200)= 100 standard deviation= sqrt(0.5)(0.5)(200)= 7.07
since the question wants the probability between 120 and 140 (im guessing this is inclusive, the question doesn't specify) i have:
P(120<=x<=140)
= P(119.5<x<140.5)
= 119.5-100/7.07(sqrt200)<x<140.5-100/7.07(sqrt200)
after the calculation i get:
0.1950<z<0.4051

now, i know i go to my table and get the areas under the curves for those two numbers, but what do i do next dince i have the two numbers? do i subtract them?

Physics news on Phys.org
The normal distribution table may give you numbers of P(Z < z), -inf to z. I think that you need to find P(.195 < Z < .4051), that would be P(Z < .4051) - P(Z < .195).

I would first clarify with my teacher or the question prompt whether the test is truly a random guessing scenario or if there are any other factors at play. Assuming it is a purely random guessing scenario, I would proceed with the solution as follows:

The probability of getting a correct answer on any given question is 0.5 (since it is a true-false test). Therefore, the probability of getting 120 correct answers out of 200 questions is (0.5)^120. Similarly, the probability of getting 140 correct answers is (0.5)^140.

Using the central limit theorem, we can assume that the distribution of the number of correct answers follows a normal distribution with mean = 100 and standard deviation = 7.07. Therefore, the probability of getting between 120 and 140 correct answers can be calculated by finding the area under the normal curve between these two values.

Using the given chart, we can find the z-values corresponding to 120 and 140. From the chart, we get z = 2.85 for 120 and z = 4.24 for 140. Then, we can calculate the probability as follows:

P(120<=x<=140)
= P(2.85<=z<=4.24)
= P(z<=4.24) - P(z<=2.85)
= 0.9998 - 0.9972
= 0.0026

Therefore, the probability of getting between 120 and 140 correct answers on the test is 0.0026 or 0.26%. This means that it is highly unlikely for a student to get this many correct answers by just guessing.

Related to Probability problem, central limit theorm/binomial

1. What is the central limit theorem?

The central limit theorem is a fundamental concept in statistics that states that the average of a large number of independent and identically distributed random variables will approximately follow a normal distribution, regardless of the underlying distribution of the individual variables. This is important because it allows us to use the normal distribution to make probabilistic predictions about a wide range of phenomena.

2. How does the central limit theorem relate to binomial distributions?

The central limit theorem applies to any distribution, including the binomial distribution. It states that as the sample size increases, the distribution of the sample means will approach a normal distribution. This means that if we take a large number of samples from a binomial distribution and calculate the mean for each sample, the resulting distribution of means will follow a normal distribution.

3. What is the difference between the binomial distribution and the normal distribution?

The binomial distribution is a discrete probability distribution that is used to model the probability of a certain number of successes or failures in a fixed number of independent trials. The normal distribution, on the other hand, is a continuous probability distribution that is often used to model continuous variables, such as height or weight. While the binomial distribution can only take on integer values, the normal distribution can take on any real value.

4. How is the central limit theorem used in real-world applications?

The central limit theorem is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including quality control, market research, and risk analysis. For example, in quality control, it is used to determine if a manufacturing process is producing products within a certain range of acceptable values. In market research, it is used to estimate the average opinion or behavior of a population based on a sample. In risk analysis, it is used to model the probability of extreme events, such as stock market crashes or natural disasters.

5. What are the assumptions for the central limit theorem to hold?

There are a few key assumptions that must be met for the central limit theorem to hold. These include: the observations must be independent, the sample size must be large enough (usually at least 30), and the underlying distribution must have a finite mean and variance. Violating these assumptions can result in the central limit theorem not accurately predicting the behavior of the sample means.