1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial distribution problem

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from a different forums, so no HH Template is shown
    Right now I'm having a problem with a statistics problem. More specifically with a binomial distribution problem.

The problem says:
    There is a family composed by 8 children. Calculate the probability that 3 of them are girls

As far as I know, binomial distribution formula says:
    [itex]p(x=k)=\binom{n}{k}(p)^{k}(1-p)^{n-k}[/itex]

In which:
    *n is the number of trials
    *k is the number of success
    *p is the probability of success
    *(1-p) is the probability of failure, sometimes denoted as q in some textbooks

I know two things, since we are talking about eight children then n=8. The number of success is k=3, therefore the number of failures must be n-k= 5. At this point I feel I'm going well. However the problem begins that problem isn't giving me the probability of success (p). I first tried to calculate it by knowing that if 8 children means 100% of all the trials then 3 girls means 37.5% (I found this by rule of three); yet I'm not completely sure if that's the right way of finding the probability of success p when problem isn't giving it to us.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think they want you to assume that boy and girl babies are equally likely, so that ##p = q = 1/2##. In reality that is not quite true; if you want, you can look up the boy/girl birth rates in a database, and use that instead. However, assuming ##p = q = 1/2## in such problems is pretty standard in an introductory course.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  4. Apr 12, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Exactly three in total, at least three in total, or a specific three? Ok, I agree they probably mean exactly three in total.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted