Is Playing a Card Game with Ascending Order Wins a Good Bet?

• Thread starter boggled
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether or not it is worth playing a game in which the player draws four cards from a deck of 97 cards and must have them in ascending order to win $10, otherwise they lose $1. The conversation presents two methods for calculating the probability of winning: one based on symmetry and the other based on the average pick from the deck. The correct probability of winning is determined to be 1/24 or approximately 0.04167. The conversation also briefly discusses the possibility of using integrations to calculate the probability.
boggled
Hello so here is the question:

You have a deck of 97 cards and I will pay you $10 if I draw 4 cards and they are in ascending order (not necessarily consecutive order) and you pay me $1 if they are not. Would you play?

I am thinking a few different ways:

A the easiest: its symetric so equal chances higher or lower so the chance to get 5 cards each one higher than the next is 1/1 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8

or b. the average pick out of the cards is 49 so the next has to be 50 or higher the average of 50-97 is the second choice(that has a probability of 47/96).. the third has to be higher than that average second pick which is 73 average of 73-95 is 85 and so on

so the prob is 1*47/96*26/95*10/94

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
boggled said:
Hello so here is the question:

You have a deck of 97 cards and I will pay you $10 if I draw 4 cards and they are in ascending order (not necessarily consecutive order) and you pay me $1 if they are not. Would you play?

I am thinking a few different ways:

A the easiest: its symetric so equal chances higher or lower so the chance to get 5 cards each one higher than the next is 1/1 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8

or b. the average pick out of the cards is 49 so the next has to be 50 or higher the average of 50-97 is the second choice(that has a probability of 47/96).. the third has to be higher than that average second pick which is 73 average of 73-95 is 85 and so on

so the prob is 1*47/96*26/95*10/94

Thank you

Your expression above is 13/912 ≈ 0.01425, but I get something very different: I get p{win} = 4465/18624 ≈ 0.2397.

The point is that when the first number is small, there are lots of ways to choose the second number (to get a win), but when the first number is large the number of choices for the second number is much more limited.

RGV

Are the 97 cards all distinct? If so, the probability of drawing 4 in ascending order is simply 1/4!, approximately 0.04167, since all 4! orderings are equally likely.

awkward said:
Are the 97 cards all distinct? If so, the probability of drawing 4 in ascending order is simply 1/4!, approximately 0.04167, since all 4! orderings are equally likely.

No fair, you did it the easy way! My previous post was nonsense, as I had made the stupid mistake of forgetting some factors, etc. When I correct the results (but using my lengthy method) I end up with P{win} = 1/24, as you say.

RGV

I didn't necessarily do it the easy way the first time, heh heh.

awkward said:
I didn't necessarily do it the easy way the first time, heh heh.

There must be something a bit deeper going on here. I used
[tex]P_{\text{win}}= \sum_{i=1}^{94} \frac{1}{97} \sum_{j=i+1}^{95} \frac{1}{96}
\sum_{k=j+1}^{96} \frac{1}{95} \sum_{l=k+1}^{97}\frac{1}{94} = \frac{1}{24} = \frac{1}{4!}.[/tex]
Of course, 1/4! is the volume of the region
[tex] R = \{(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) : 0 \leq x_1 \leq x_2 \leq x_3 \leq x_4 \leq 1 \}.[/tex]
The volume of R can be computed by nested integrations; somehow, we get the same value by replacing the integrations by summations, and with slightly changing denominators (1/97, 1/96, 1/95, ... ). Surely this cannot be coincidental.

RGV

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. It can also be calculated using mathematical formulas such as the probability of independent events (P(A) = P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B)) or the probability of dependent events (P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B|A)).

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on calculations and mathematical formulas, while experimental probability is based on actual outcomes from experiments or observations. Theoretical probability is often used to predict the likelihood of an event, while experimental probability is used to analyze and verify the results of an experiment.

4. How does probability relate to statistics?

Probability is a fundamental concept in statistics and is used to analyze and interpret data. It helps in making predictions, drawing conclusions, and determining the significance of results in statistical experiments.

5. Can probability be used to predict the future?

Probability can be used to make predictions about future events, but it is not a guarantee of what will happen. It is important to consider other factors and variables when using probability to make predictions.