1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Probability Question (Random Variables and CDF)

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A transmission channel is noisy and a binary bit (assume it is a 0 or a 1) has probability of .11 of being incorrectly transmitted. Suppose the bit is sent n (odd) times and a majority decoder announces which bit is received the majority of the time. Assume retransmissions constitute Bernoulli trials.
    (a) Let X be the number of errors in n transmissions. Give a formula for the distribution of X.
    (b) What is the probability the message is correctly received, for n=25?

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    X is discrete, so for part (a) I came up with [tex]p_{x}(x)=.11^{x}.89^{n-x}[/tex] which I'm not convinced is totally right.

For part b I want to calculate [tex]P(X\leq12)[/tex] since this is the probability that the message is correctly received (number of errors is less than half). But if I attempt to calculate the cumulative distribution function using my distribution, I get [tex]\sum^{12}_{x=1}.11^{x}.89^{n-x} = .06195[/tex] which is clearly way too low. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2
    hmm, I really confused with the words (my english fault). anyway, what i know about bernoulli's trial is that there's only chance of sucess and failure..

So, the equation of bernoulli's trial f(x)=(p)x(1-p)1-x , x=0,1

so, in this case,
    f(x)=(nCx)(0.11)x(0.89)n-x , x=1,2,...,n

because of n times,

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook