Solving Probability Questions: Lowest Valued Card

In summary, there is a 1/3 probability of accepting the lowest valued card if we plan to accept the first card offered, and a 50% chance of accepting the lowest valued card if we plan to reject the first card offered and only accept the second card if its value is lower.
rooski

Homework Statement

Suppose that the integer values 1 2 and 3 are written on each of three different cards. Suppose you do not know which number is the lowest (you do not know beforehand what the values on the cards are). Suppose that you are to be offered these cards in a random order. When you are offered a card you must immediately either accept it or reject it. If you accept a card, the process
ends. If you reject a card, then the next card (if a card remains) is offered. If you
reject the first two cards offered, then you must accept the final card.

(a) If you plan to accept the first card offered, what is the probability that you will
accept the lowest valued card?

(b) If you plan to reject the first card offered, and to then accept the second card if
and only if its value is lower than the value of the first card, what is the probability
that you will accept the lowest valued card?

The Attempt at a Solution

A) The answer is obviously 1/3 for this question.

B) this is a conditional probability question. Given that P(E|F) = P(EF) / P(F) then i must first figure out what P(E) and P(F) stand for.

P(E) is the probability that i will accept the lowest card.
P(F) is the probability that the second card i choose is lower than the first rejected card.

If i reject the card with 1 on it, then i have no chance of selecting the lowest card next.
If i reject the card with 2 on it, then there is a 1/2 chance i will select the lowest card next.
If i reject the card with 3 on it, then i have a 1/2 chance i will select the lowest card next.

So there is a 2/3 * 1/2 = 1/3 chance that the second card is lower than the first rejected card, right?

I am not sure how to proceed after this.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you reject the card with 2 on it, then you will either pick the card with 1 next (which is lower, so you will accept it and have the lowest card) or you will pick that card with 3 (which is higher, so you will reject it and be left with the last one).
So in fact, the probability of getting the lowest card there is 1.

Ah right, don't know how i missed that.

So how do i calculate the chance that the second card will be lower? I have 0, 1 and 1/2 as the probabilities, depending on which card is rejected first.

Hi Rooski.
Let L be the event that you accept the lowest card.
Let [tex]F_{n}[/tex] be the event that the value of the first (and rejected) card is n, n=1,2,3.

Events [tex]F_{n}[/tex] are disjoint.

Try to write down p(L) using the total probability rule.

Assuming L is the event i accept the lowest card,

P(L) = P(L|A)P(A) + P(L|B)P(B) + P(L|C)P(C)

Where A,B,C denote cards 1,2,3 respectively. Is that right or am i off? It seems wring since P(A), P(B) and P(C) would all be 1/3.

Ok.
According to your notation A is the event that the first (and rejected) card is the lowest one.
So, if you reject A, the probability of accepting the lowest card is zero.
So P(L|A) = 0.

What about P(L|B) and P(L|C) ?

P(L|B) = 1 since you will reject 3 if it appears, or accept 1 when it appears.
P(L|C) = 1/2 since you will accept 2 if it appears or accept 1 when it appears.

Have i calculated P(A) P(B) and P(C) wrong?

A is the event that the first card is A. So pA=1/3.
The same apply to B and C.
Just calculate P(L).

P(L) = 0 * 1/3 + 1 * 1/3 + ½ * 1/3 = 3/6 = 1/2

So there is a 50% chance that we will end up with the lowest card if we reject the first random card.

1. What is the concept of "lowest valued card" in probability?

The "lowest valued card" refers to the card with the lowest numerical value in a deck of playing cards. This can be any card from 2 to 10, as well as the face cards (Jack, Queen, and King) which are assigned a value of 11, 12, and 13, respectively. In some games, the Ace may also be considered the lowest valued card with a value of 1.

2. How is the probability of drawing the lowest valued card calculated?

The probability of drawing the lowest valued card depends on the number of cards in the deck and the specific game being played. In a standard deck of 52 cards, the probability is simply 1/13 or approximately 7.69%. However, if there are multiple decks being used or certain cards have been removed, the probability may change.

3. What strategies can be used to increase the chances of drawing the lowest valued card?

Since the probability of drawing the lowest valued card is based on chance, there is no guaranteed strategy to increase the chances. However, some games may have rules or strategies that give players a higher likelihood of drawing the lowest valued card, such as reshuffling the deck or using a specific card counting technique.

4. Are there any real-life applications of solving probability questions related to the lowest valued card?

Yes, probability questions related to the lowest valued card can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as card games, lotteries, and even in financial markets. Understanding the probability of drawing the lowest valued card can also be helpful in making strategic decisions in games or investments.

5. How can I improve my overall understanding of probability and solving questions related to the lowest valued card?

Practicing and familiarizing oneself with different probability problems, including those related to the lowest valued card, can improve overall understanding. Reading and learning about different probability concepts and strategies can also help in solving these types of questions more effectively.