Likely Winner of Women's Shooting Contest

• Thread starter himurakenshin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: When B kills C, the probability is 1.11x, or 111.11% because .75 * .55 * .25 * .75 * .55 * .25 * .25 * .75 (which is 111.11% again) = 1.11x. .In summary, the most likely outcome is that B will win if A kills B, A will win if B kills C, and C will win if A kills C.
himurakenshin
Three women A,b,c are involved in a contest with the following rules. A shoots B, if B survives, B shoots C and if C survives, C shoots A. A is 25% accurate, B is 45% and C is 75%. Who is most likely to win if the women continue to shoot in order and in turn. (Who is most likely to be alive)

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the probability that A kills B when there are still 3. This will be .25 (first shot) + .75 * .55 * .25 * .25 (second shot: you get this because for A killing B on second shot with still 3 people, A must miss first shot, then B must miss first shot, then C must miss first shot, then A must hit second shot) + .75 * .55 * .25 * .75 * .55 * .25 * .25 (third shot) + ..., basically the sum of a geometric sequence.

Then find the probability of each player winning given A just killed B.

Continue in this fashion for B killing C and for C killing A and deal with the conditional probabilities appropriately.

The statement of the problem has a gap. What happens after one person is killed? Who shoots next? Do they take turns? Is the killing prob. the same?

It's probably assumed that they go in order, so if someone just shot and killed then the other surviving person shoots next. The hit probabilities are stated.

When I solved the answer, I find that B has the highest probability of winning, can anyone verify this.

Also once on person is dead they shoot each other

I may be wrong but my estimates are that C has a 42% chance of winning, B has a 40% chance of winning and A has a 18% chance of winning. Though I did that very quickly so I could have easily made a mistake.

Steven

Confirmed, snoble.

this is the workings as how I got the answer that B has the highest probability - can somebody tell me where I have gone wrong?

Attachments

• answer.doc
    53 KB · Views: 209
One thing I can tell you is that your probabilities add up to 110.6%, which just can't be right...

Under B, where A dies first, you must have punched in the numbers wrong.

What is the likely winner of the women's shooting contest?

The likely winner of the women's shooting contest cannot be determined with certainty as it depends on various factors such as skill, training, and luck.

Who are the top contenders for the women's shooting contest?

The top contenders for the women's shooting contest are determined based on their past performances, rankings, and current form. It is difficult to predict the exact winner as shooting is a highly competitive and unpredictable sport.

What are the key skills required to win the women's shooting contest?

The key skills required to win the women's shooting contest include precision, focus, control, and consistency. A combination of these skills along with mental toughness and physical fitness can give a shooter an edge over their competitors.

What are some factors that can affect the outcome of the women's shooting contest?

Factors such as weather conditions, equipment malfunctions, and unexpected distractions can affect the outcome of the women's shooting contest. The mental and emotional state of the shooter on the day of the competition can also play a significant role in their performance.

Are there any favorites for the women's shooting contest?

There may be some shooters who are considered favorites based on their past achievements or current form, but it is important to remember that anything can happen in a competition. It is always wise to not underestimate any participant and to expect a tough and close competition.