1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability quiz

1. May 17, 2013 #1
    the variables X1,X2,.... are independents and taking values 1 and -1 and their expected value E(Xj)=0 and we have Y=X1+X2+X3+...+Xn AND Z=X1+X2+X3+...+Xn+1 find the ρ(Y,Z) for n=46

i know that ρ(Υ,Ζ)=COV(Y,Z)/(σΥ*σZ)

where σY = sqrt(varY) and σZ=sqrt(varZ) how i can find them because we dont have any sum or probability to estimate them, For the cov(Y,Z) i think tha is 0 because Xj are indepents and expected value still 0 but is says tha its not true what i am doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, for all i, P(Xi= -1)= 1/3, P(Xi= 0)= 1/3, and P(Xi= 0)= 1/3.
    (Unless you are missing the word "is": "and their expected value is E(Xj)= 0". In that case, P(Xi= -1)= 1/2, P(Xi= 1)= 1/2.)

4. May 17, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I read it as "their expected value, E(Xj), = 0". So P(Xi= -1) = P(Xi= 1)= 1/2.
    But Y and Z depend on n of the same samples, so will not be independent. On an occasion when Y turns out to be higher than normal, Z likely will be too.

5. May 17, 2013 #4
    how i can find E(YZ)=? i cant think how to find it

6. May 17, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Write the expression for YZ in terms of the Xi (using Ʃ). The E() of a sum is the sum of the E()s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted