Probability Ray Graduates from University with Scholarship

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of Ray graduating from a university and getting a scholarship. Based on the given information, it can be calculated that there is a 41% chance that Ray will graduate from the university.
eMac
Question: "With reference to exercise 1, suppose that years later we hear that ray graduated form the give university. what is the probability that he did get the scholarship."

Exercise 1: "Ray has enrolled as a freshman at an Eastern university and the probability that he will get a scholarship is 0.35. if he gets a scholarship the probability that he will graduate is 0.82, and if he does not get a scholarship the probability that he will graduate is only 0.44. what is the probability that he will graduate"

So what I have worked out so far is:

He does get scholarship is 0.35, with scholarship he graduates is 0.82, with scholarship and doesn't graduate is 0.18.

He doesn't get scholarship is 0.65, without scholarship and graduates is 0.44, without scholarship and doesn't graduate is 0.56.

Im not sure as to what I should do from this point to find out the probability that he did get the scholarship.

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems more like Bayesian probability than "standard" probability. Are you considering this approach?

How would I use Bayesian probability?

My apologies, eMac, I misread the question; this is not a Bayesian prob. question. I got to go now, but I'll come back tomorrow (more precisely, later today.)

Obviously this is a job for big time night owls.

S = Ray gets scholarship
G = Ray graduates

Given:
P(S) = 0.35
P(G | S) = .82
P(G | not S) = .44

Find P(G)
As Bacle said, that can be done without a Bayesian analysis

Your first question:
Find P(S | G)

This can be done by a Bayesian analysis
P(S | G) = P( S and G)/ P(G) = P(G and S)/ P(G) = ( P(G | S) P(S) )/ P(G)

P(S)= 0.35
P(notS)=0.65

P(S and G)= 0.82
P(S and notG)=0.18

P(notS and G)= 0.44
P(notS and notG)=0.56

P(He will Graduate) = (0.35 * 0.82) + (0.65 * 0.44) = 0.41 OR 41%

Hope it helps!

Related to Probability Ray Graduates from University with Scholarship

1. What is the probability of Ray graduating from university with a scholarship?

The probability of Ray graduating from university with a scholarship depends on various factors such as his academic performance, extracurricular activities, and the number of scholarships available. Without more information, it is difficult to determine an exact probability.

2. How does Ray's academic performance affect his chances of receiving a scholarship?

Ray's academic performance plays a significant role in his chances of receiving a scholarship. Most scholarships have minimum GPA requirements, so having a strong academic record can increase his chances of being awarded a scholarship.

3. Are there any other factors besides academic performance that can impact Ray's chances of receiving a scholarship?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact Ray's chances of receiving a scholarship. These can include his involvement in extracurricular activities, community service, leadership experiences, and personal essays. Some scholarships may also consider financial need.

4. Is it common for students to graduate with a scholarship?

The number of students who graduate with a scholarship varies depending on the university and the availability of scholarships. Some universities may have a higher number of scholarships available, while others may have a more competitive selection process. It is best to research the specific university and scholarship opportunities for a more accurate understanding.

5. What are the benefits of graduating with a scholarship?

Graduating with a scholarship can have many benefits. It can help alleviate the financial burden of tuition and other expenses, allowing students to focus on their studies. Scholarships can also enhance a student's resume and make them more competitive for future job opportunities. Additionally, receiving a scholarship can be a source of motivation and recognition for academic achievements.