1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability that sum of two random variables is greater than 1

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let us choose at random a point from the interval (0,1) and let the random variable [itex]X_1[/itex] be equal to the number which corresponds to that point. Then choose a point at random from the interval (0,[itex]x_1[/itex]), where [itex]x_1[/itex] is the experimental value of [itex]X_1[/itex]; and let the random variable [itex]X_2[/itex] be equal to the number which corresponds to this point.

Compute [itex]P(X_1 + X_2 >= 1)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    The joint pdf is [itex]1/x_1 , 0<x_2<x_1<1[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Many. For one, set [itex]Y=X_1+X_2[/itex]. Then find [itex]P(Y>=1)[/itex]. Then evaluate [itex]\int_0^1\int_{1-x_2}^1 1/x_1 dx_1dx_2[/itex]. Evaluating this integral gives me zero.

The other solutions I come up with end up giving me [itex]ln(0)[/itex], which is undefined. Any suggestions on how to approach this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How can you get zero from the integral? 1/x_1 is always positive, the result cannot be zero.
    I don't see how you consider the sum in this integral.

for a given x_1, what is the probability that the sum is larger than 1?
    With this probability, you can use a one-dimensional integral to get the answer.

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could use a conditioning argument, where you condition on ##x_1##. In other words, find ##P(X_1+X_2 \geq 1|X_1 = x_1)##, etc.

Alternatively, you can use the joint density, but you need to apply the correct integration. To do that, first draw a picture to help you get the region of integration correctly

5. Oct 15, 2013 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As has been noted, that integral does not evaluate to zero. (It evaluates to one.)

Much more importantly, that is the wrong integral. Look what happens when x2 is, for example, 3/4. The integration limits for x1 are 1/4 to 1. When x1 is 1/4, the maximum possible value for x2 is 1/4. An x2 value of 3/4 is not possible.

Bottom line: Your integral covers more than the sample space.

If you want to use this approach, I suggest drawing a picture. You want the portion of the sample space for which x1+x2≥1.

6. Oct 15, 2013 #5
    Thanks a lot for the help everyone. Once I thought carefully about summing all values of [itex]x_1[/itex], the proper limits of the integrals was a lot more clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted