1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating Conditional Probability of Several Random Variables

1. Oct 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]X_1, X_2, X_3[/itex] be iid with common pdf [itex]f(x)=exp(-x)[/itex], [itex]0<x<infinity[/itex], [itex]0[/itex] elsewhere.

Evaluate [itex]P(X_1<X_2 | X_1<2X_2)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]f(X|Y) = f(x,y)/f(y)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since [itex]P(X_1<X_2)[/itex] is a subset of [itex]P(X_1<2X_2)[/itex], the intersection (edited, at first said union) should be [itex]P(X_1<X_2)[/itex], so the conditional should be [itex]P(X_1<X_2)/P(X_1<2X_2)[/itex] (edited). I evaluate this and get [itex](exp(-x_2) - 1 )/ (exp(-2x_2 ) - 1)[/itex], so I'm going wrong somewhere. Any suggestions welcome!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What value has ##x_2?## There is no ##x_2## mentioned in the question---only the random variable ##X_2##. Also, you should look at an intersection, not a union: the intersection is ##\{X_1 < X_2\}## while the union is ##\{X_1 < 2X_2\}##. Furthermore, you say one thing and compute something else.

Also, what role does ##X_3## have in the question?

4. Oct 21, 2013 #3
    Edited, you are right. I had evaluated [itex]P(X_1<X_2)/P(X_1<2X_2)[/itex] to get the answer.

[itex]X_3[/itex] is the second part of the problem, not used in this part. Sorry for the confusion.

5. Oct 21, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, that is not what you calculated. You calculated
    [tex] \frac{P(X_1 < x_2)}{P(X_1 < 2x_2)}[/tex]
    for some un-specified value of the number ##x_2##.

How do you calculate ##P(X_1 < X_2)##? Here, I wrote and I mean ##X_2##---the random variable--not a number ##x_2##. Same question for ##P(X_1 < 2X_2)##.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  6. Oct 21, 2013 #5
    My guess is that it's the probability that [itex]X_1[/itex] is less than the mean of [itex]X_2[/itex], not some [itex]x_2[/itex].

7. Oct 21, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please: no guesses. Go back to your probability textbook and read the appropriate sections, or consult your course notes. This is all really basic material about bivariate distributions, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted