Probability with 3 events

In summary, the solution to the problem is to add up the percentages of all the areas in the Venn diagram and equate it to 100%. This results in 29% of the population not reading any newspaper.
Yankel
I had a question, but finally cracked it. I apologize for the post.

What I did eventually, I realized that the sum of two events intersections (A and B, A and C , B and C) is equal to 0.18-3*0.08. I then used this sum in the union formula and found my probability.

Hello, I am working on this problem:

In a country there are 3 newspapers: A,B and C.
39% reads A
36% reads B
30% reads C
18% reads exactly two newspapers
8% read all newspapers
what percentage doesn't read any newspaper ?

What I tried to do, is to sketch a venn diagram with 3 circles, and to figure out how to use the 18% information, but it always looks as if I have too many unknowns. The probability of not reading any newspaper, is the opposite of reading at least one. I tried using the union formula, but it did not work either.

Can you assist please ? Thank you

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here is a Venn diagram:

View attachment 4983

Add up all the areas and equate them to 100%...what do you find?

Attachments

• newspapersvenn.png
    newspapersvenn.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 46
Adding up all the areas (as percentages), we find:

\(\displaystyle (13+y)+(x)+(28-x-y)+(18-x-y)+(8)+(y)+(x+4)+N=100\)

\(\displaystyle 13+y+x+28-x-y+18-x-y+8+y+x+4+N=100\)

\(\displaystyle 13+28+18+8+4+N=100\)

\(\displaystyle N+71=100\)

\(\displaystyle N=29\)

Thus, we find 29% of the given population read no newspaper.

1. What is the probability of getting at least one head when flipping three coins?

The probability of getting at least one head when flipping three coins is 7/8 or 87.5%. This can be calculated by taking the probability of getting no heads (1/8 or 12.5%) and subtracting it from 1.

2. How do you calculate the probability of three independent events occurring?

The probability of three independent events occurring can be calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each event. For example, if the probability of event A occurring is 1/4, the probability of event B occurring is 1/2, and the probability of event C occurring is 3/4, then the probability of all three events occurring is (1/4)*(1/2)*(3/4) = 3/32 or 9.375%.

3. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that have no influence on each other. This means that the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other event. Dependent events, on the other hand, are events that are influenced by each other. This means that the outcome of one event can affect the outcome of the other event.

4. How do you calculate the probability of two mutually exclusive events occurring?

The probability of two mutually exclusive events occurring can be calculated by adding the individual probabilities of each event. For example, if the probability of event A occurring is 1/3 and the probability of event B occurring is 2/3, then the probability of either event A or event B occurring is (1/3) + (2/3) = 1 or 100%.

5. What is the difference between conditional and unconditional probabilities?

Conditional probability is the probability of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. Unconditional probability is the probability of an event occurring without any prior knowledge or conditions. Conditional probabilities are calculated by taking into account the relationship between the two events, while unconditional probabilities are calculated based on the individual probabilities of each event.