How High Can a Flea Jump Using Resilin Energy?

• Thread starter PSEYE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jump
In summary, a Flea can attain a maximum height of 2.15 cm by jumping using the energy stored in its resilin.
PSEYE
The resilin in the upper leg (coxa) of a flea has a force constant of about 26 N/m, and when the flea cocks its jumping legs, the resilin in each leg is stretched by approximately 0.10mm .

Given that the flea has a mass of 0.55mg , and that two legs are used in a jump, estimate the maximum height a flea can attain by using the energy stored in the resilin. (Assume the resilin to be an ideal spring.)

h=?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to make an attempt at a solution, it is not our job to do your homework for you. If you can show effort, than we can be of further assistance, if you are struggling.

So you don't know the answer? I have plenty of work on my paper, but it's all chicken scratch.

I could work out the answer, but the stickies for this forum give a clear structure for posting, which includes an attempt at the solution. What have you tried so far? What is going wrong?

V

I'm trying to use hooke's law for the spring in the flea's legs.

which would be F=kx
F=(26N/m)(2x(for each leg)(0.0001m)
I got a force of 0.0052

I thought of using PE=mgh, the only equation I know of that would give me the height.
I'm sure it's a simple problem I just don't know which equation to plug the given values into.

U=mgh

1.16x10^-6 = 5.5x10^-6 (9.8)h
h=2.15cm, but it's wrong.

Hint: How much energy is stored in the flea's cocked legs?

You're on the right track.

You have F = kx. Work is force over a distance right? So if you find the integral of F = kx over the interval [0,.10], you can find the enegry stored in the flea's coked legs as Doc Al stated above.

F = kx => W = 1/2kx^2

ahh...
1/2kx^2 = 1/2mv^2

then plug into 1/2mv^2=mgh

h= v^2/2g

PSEYE said:
ahh...
1/2kx^2 = 1/2mv^2

then plug into 1/2mv^2=mgh

h= v^2/2g
OK, but you can go directly from spring potential energy to gravitational potential energy. (No need to worry about kinetic energy.)

1. How high can a flea jump?

A flea can jump up to 150 times its own body length, which is equivalent to about 8 inches in height.

2. What factors affect a flea's jumping ability?

A flea's jumping ability is influenced by its body size, leg muscle strength, and the surface it is jumping from.

3. How does a flea's jumping compare to other animals?

Relative to its body size, a flea's jumping ability is considered one of the most impressive in the animal kingdom.

4. Can fleas jump vertically?

Yes, fleas are capable of jumping both horizontally and vertically.

5. How do fleas jump without wings?

Fleas have specialized leg muscles that store and release energy rapidly, allowing them to propel themselves into the air without the need for wings.