Problem about orbital mechanics

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the height of a satellite orbiting the Earth. The equation 3 KE (in the orbit ) = ΔUg is used, with R representing the Earth's radius and R2 representing the orbit's radius. The final answer is calculated to be (3/2)R. However, there is some confusion about the calculation of kinetic energy and the final answer.
Andres Padilla
Homework Statement
A satellite is in circular orbit around Earth. The orbit is such that the change in gravitational potential energy of the satellite-Earth system in going from the satellite’s location on the surface of Earth to its orbit height is equal to three times the satellite’s kinetic energy while in this orbit. How high above the surface of Earth (radius = R) is the satellite? :

A) 1⁄2R
B) 2⁄3R
C) R
D) 3⁄2R
E) 2R
Relevant Equations
I think:
Ug= -GMm/r
Ke= 1/2 mv^2

V^2=(GM/r)

Umechanical= - 1/2 GMm/r
I tried it, but I am not getting no of the given answers

According to the statement, it is saying that

3 KE (in the orbit ) = ΔUg

So, beeing R the radius of the Earth and R2 the radius of the orbit:

3 (1/2)(GMm/r2) = -GMm/r2 - (-GMm/R)

Canceling out the GMm:

(3/2)(1/r2)= (-1/r2) + (1/R)

Solving for R2

(3/2)(1/r2) + (1/r2)=(1/R)
(5/2)(1/r2)=(1/R)
(2/5)(r2)=R
r2= (5/2)R

Hoewever, this would be wrong, this is not a choice. Could someone teach me what I am doing wrong? thank you in advance :) .

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
How have you calculated the Kinetic Energy of the satellite?

Hello, with KE=3 (1/2)(mv^2)
where V^2 is GMm/r2

Andres Padilla said:
Hello, with KE=3 (1/2)(mv^2)
where V^2 is GMm/r2

Okay, I think I agree with your answer.

Andres Padilla said:
Homework Statement: ... How high above the surface of Earth (radius = R) is the satellite?

Likes Delta2
So the answer would be
R2-R = (5/3)R- 1 R=(3/2) R

Likes TSny

What is orbital mechanics?

Orbital mechanics is the study of the motion of objects in space, including planets, moons, satellites, and other celestial bodies. It involves understanding how these objects move and interact with each other under the influence of gravity and other forces.

What are the main challenges in orbital mechanics?

The main challenges in orbital mechanics include accurately predicting the motion of objects in space, accounting for the effects of other objects and forces, and ensuring the safety and stability of spacecraft and satellites in orbit.

What is the difference between orbital mechanics and astrodynamics?

Orbital mechanics and astrodynamics are closely related fields, but they have slight differences. Orbital mechanics focuses on the motion of objects in space, while astrodynamics also considers the design and control of spacecraft and their trajectories.

How do scientists use orbital mechanics in space exploration?

Scientists use orbital mechanics to plan and execute missions to other planets, moons, and celestial bodies. They also use it to design and optimize spacecraft trajectories and to predict and avoid collisions with other objects in space.

What are some real-world applications of orbital mechanics?

Orbital mechanics has many practical applications, such as satellite and spacecraft design, GPS navigation, and predicting and preventing collisions between space debris and satellites. It is also used in astrophysics to study the motion and interactions of celestial objects in our solar system and beyond.