Problem in a Metric Space

In summary, we are given a metric space (X,d) and a nonempty, closed subset A of X. For x in X, we define d(x,A) as the infimum of the set of distances between x and any element of A. We are asked to prove that this infimum is always finite, but the reasoning behind this is not immediately clear. One approach is to show that the set of distances is nonempty and bounded below, which implies that its infimum is finite.
aodesky
Suppose (X,d) is a metric space and A, a subset of X, is closed and nonempty. For x in X, define d(x,A) = infa in A{d(x,a)}

Show that d(x,A) < infinity.

I really don't have much of an idea on how to show it must be finite. An obvious thought comes to mind, namely that a metric is real-valued by definition, so it must be a real number and hence finite, but I don't feel that that reasoning captures the gist of the inherent problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you must show that the set

[tex]\{d(x,a)~\vert~a\in A\}[/tex]

has a finite infimum. The only thing you need to check here is that the set is nonempty. Do you agree??

aodesky said:
Suppose (X,d) is a metric space and A, a subset of X, is closed and nonempty. For x in X, define d(x,A) = infa in A{d(x,a)}

Show that d(x,A) < infinity.

Are you sure you wrote down the problem correctly? As micromass pointed out, whether or not [itex]A[/itex] is closed is irrelevant. Maybe you have to show that [itex]0<d(x,A)<\infty[/itex] for all [itex]x\notin A[/itex]?

Thanks for the responses. To micromass: I don't quite see how the set's being nonempty necessarily implies that its infimum is finite. And to foxjwill: the set's being closed has no pertinence (at least I don't think it does) to the part of the question I asked here, but there are two other parts of the question to which it does play a role; however, I knew how to answer those so I didn't post them here, and I didn't omit the fact that the set was closed because I wasn't positive that it played no role whatsoever in the question I asked here. The question is quoted here correctly, I just still cannot see a direct implication toward a finite infimum based off of the information here. Can you prove it micromass?

Try to prove the following:

if a set of real numbers is nonempty and bounded below, then its infimum is finite.

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that defines the distance between two objects or points. It is typically denoted by (X, d), where X is a set of objects and d is a function that assigns a non-negative real number to each pair of objects in X.

2. What are some examples of metric spaces?

Some examples of metric spaces include the Euclidean space, where the distance between two points is given by the Pythagorean theorem, and the taxicab space, where the distance between two points is given by the sum of the absolute differences between their coordinates.

3. What is a problem in a metric space?

A problem in a metric space is a mathematical question or challenge that involves finding a solution or understanding a concept related to the distance between objects in that space. These problems can range from basic calculations to complex theoretical questions.

4. How do you solve a problem in a metric space?

The approach to solving a problem in a metric space depends on the specific problem at hand. Generally, it involves using the properties and definitions of metric spaces, along with algebraic and geometric techniques, to analyze and manipulate the given information and arrive at a solution or understanding.

5. What are some real-world applications of metric spaces?

Metric spaces have numerous practical applications, particularly in the fields of computer science, physics, and engineering. They are used in data analysis, pattern recognition, optimization problems, and many other areas where the concept of distance is important in understanding and solving problems.