Problem in my differential geometry final

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a conformal equi-areal map and the use of the characterizations of "conformal" and "equiareal" to solve it. The equation E1G1-F1²=L²(E1G1-F1²) was derived and it was found that L=+1 or -1. However, for the map to be an isometry, L must be equal to 1. The discussion also touched on the definitions and signs of Ei and Gi. The question of how to reject L=-1 was also raised.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
There was a little problem in my final exam that went "Show that a conformal equi-areal map is an isometry".

I invoqued the caracterisation of "conformal" that the two metrics are proportional, say by a proportionality function L: E1=LE2, F1=LF2, G1=LG2.

Then I invoked the caracterisation of "equiareal" that the determinants of the two metrics must be equal: E1G1-F1²=E2G2-F2².

Combining these two proporties yields the equation

E1G1-F1²=L²(E1G1-F1²)

which means that L²=1, which means that L=+1 or -1.

But for the map to be an isometry, it must be L=1 (the two metrics must be equal), so how do we reject L=-1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the definitions of the Ei and Gi? In particular, what can you say about their signs?

Aww! :wink:

1. What should I do if I encounter a difficult problem on my differential geometry final?

If you encounter a difficult problem on your differential geometry final, the first thing you should do is take a deep breath and remain calm. Panicking will only make it harder for you to think clearly. Then, try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also refer to your notes or textbook for similar examples that may help guide you towards a solution. If you are still struggling, don't be afraid to ask your professor or classmates for help.

2. How can I prepare for my differential geometry final?

To prepare for your differential geometry final, you should start by reviewing all of your notes, assignments, and textbook readings. Make sure you have a solid understanding of the key concepts and formulas. You can also create study guides or flashcards to help you remember important information. It's also a good idea to practice solving problems from previous exams or assignments to get familiar with the types of questions that may be asked on the final.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving problems in differential geometry?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving problems in differential geometry include not clearly defining your variables or assumptions, skipping steps in your calculations, and not checking your work for errors. It's also important to fully understand the concepts behind the formulas you are using, rather than simply memorizing them. Additionally, make sure to read the problem carefully and pay attention to any given information or constraints that may affect your solution.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in differential geometry?

To improve your problem-solving skills in differential geometry, it's important to practice regularly. The more problems you solve, the more comfortable you will become with the concepts and techniques used in this field. You can also try breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and working on them one at a time. It's also helpful to discuss problems with classmates or your professor, as they may have different approaches or insights that can enhance your understanding.

5. What resources are available to help me with my differential geometry final?

There are several resources available to help you with your differential geometry final. These may include your textbook, lecture notes, online tutorials or videos, practice problems, and study groups. Your professor or teaching assistant may also be available for extra help or clarification. It's important to utilize these resources and ask for help when needed to ensure you are fully prepared for the final exam.