Problem: linear dep. of time in hamilton

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving solving h=[ p^2 / (2m) ] + mAxt using Hamilton's principal function, with given initial conditions. The conversation includes hints, suggested approaches, and a solution provided by one of the participants. The solution involves setting up and solving for terms containing only x and only t, and using the initial conditions to obtain the final solution.
Asle
Hello

I am having a litte problem solving h=[ p^2 / (2m) ] + mAxt
where m, A are constants. initial conditions: t=0, x=0, p= mv

Supposedly sol this with Hamiltons principal function.
A hint for start would be nice

Thanks in Advance

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far??Can u obtain the Hamilton-Jacobi equation??

Daniel.

I am really at lost in this problem.

(1/2m)(dS/dx)^2 - mAxt + dS/dt = 0, where all d are partial derivatives
This should be the correct equation, but how to solve it?
Supposedly this is a case where you don't have to separate t
(Goldstein, 445 and prob 8 479, third edition)

But I still fail to se how to proceed from this point..
(or maybe I should use another apporth??)

Try to move the "t" dependence (time derivative+function) in the RHS and then try a solution
[tex] S(x,t)=T(t)X(x) [/tex]
Hopefully it works.

Daniel.

Thanks for the tip, but I am just having a problem with that..
its -mAxt, so its a function of both x and t.

I have the solution:
S = x(alpha) + 0.5 mAxt^2 + (1/40)mA^2 t^5 - (1/6)A(alpha)t^3 - (1/2m)(alpha)^2t

Yes,i've searched for the problem (#8,pag.479) in Goldstein and it's true that in tex,page 445 he says that this problem can be solved without time-separation.Unfortunately,i don't see how...It simply evades me...Just for curiosity,how did u find the solution u posted?

Daniel.

I am currently taking a course in classical mechanics and my professor have handed out a lot of problems, some with solution.

But how do you solve the S(x,t)=X(x)T(t) in this case.
Remeber its (dS/dx)^2 and thus yields: (dX/dx)^2T^2
And the term containing both x and t..?
Should it go with T or X or both?

I now the procedyre from QM(Sch. Eq.)
But in that case its simple to seperate

I'm afraid you can't draw a parallel with the Schrödinger's equation,simply because that is linear in space derivatives
[tex] (\frac{\partial S}{\partial x})^{2}\neq \frac{\partial^{2}S}{\partial x^{2}} [/tex]

Yes,it's precisely that mixed term which prevents a separation writing the solution as a product of functions...

Daniel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, but I am still not closer to obtaining the solution.

Anyone who has solved a similar problem ??

Solution

Found the solution.
If anyone passes by:

Write S = W(x) + W(t)x + f(t)
and calculate (dS/dx) and then square it.

Set up and solve for terms just contaoing x and then the ones containing t.

And with initial conditions you obtain the solution.

Asle said:
Hello

I am having a litte problem solving h=[ p^2 / (2m) ] + mAxt
where m, A are constants. initial conditions: t=0, x=0, p= mv

Supposedly sol this with Hamiltons principal function.
A hint for start would be nice

Thanks in Advance
[tex]{dp\over dt}=-{\partial H\over\partial x}=-mAt[/tex]

and that's pretty easy to integrate.

Yes,Krab,but the idea was for her/him to integrate the H-J equation,which indeed is equivalent to integrating Hamilton's eqns,but it's still something different.
I'm glad he/she finally found a way. :smile:

Daniel.

Related to Problem: linear dep. of time in hamilton

1. What is the problem of linear dependence of time in Hamilton?

The problem of linear dependence of time in Hamilton refers to the issue of time being a linear variable in the Hamiltonian formalism of classical mechanics. This means that the equations of motion do not change with time, leading to a lack of dynamic behavior in the system.

2. Why is linear dependence of time a problem in Hamiltonian mechanics?

Linear dependence of time can be problematic because it does not accurately reflect the true behavior of a system. In reality, most physical systems are not static and their behavior changes over time. Linear dependence of time can also lead to a lack of predictability and stability in the system.

3. How does linear dependence of time affect the solutions of the Hamiltonian equations?

Linear dependence of time can limit the types of solutions that can be obtained from the Hamiltonian equations. In particular, it can result in a lack of oscillatory or periodic behavior in the system, as well as a lack of chaotic behavior.

4. Are there any real-world applications where linear dependence of time in Hamiltonian mechanics is a significant problem?

Linear dependence of time can be a significant problem in systems where time is a key factor, such as in celestial mechanics, where the position and velocity of planets are dependent on time. It can also be problematic in systems involving complex interactions, such as in fluid dynamics.

5. How can the problem of linear dependence of time in Hamiltonian mechanics be addressed?

One approach to addressing this problem is by introducing a time-dependent Hamiltonian, where the equations of motion can change with time. Another solution is to use a different formalism, such as Lagrangian mechanics, which does not have the same issue of linear dependence of time. Additionally, numerical methods can be used to approximate solutions that may not be obtainable through analytical methods.