1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem on Operational Amplifier

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    Hi,

Just I really short question. I have attached my assignment as a picture file. Don't worry I am not asking you to give me a solution.

I just want to know, in the question it tells us that there is a internal resistance of 1MΩ, and a supply voltage of 10V. I am really confuse, as all the questions i have did so far I have assume as ideal and has never taken consideration of internal resistance and supply voltage.

So my question here is, to find V_0, do I have to consider the internal resistance and supply voltage in my working?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You should be able to sketch an equivalent circuit where the non-ideal characteristics are included, and then conclude whether or not they will affect the outcome.

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3
    the amplifier in your diagram has no negative (or positive) feedback, it is 'open loop'. Do you realise what that means.

5. Feb 14, 2012 #4
    Yes, So means I can no longer assume that there is no current flowing into operational amplifier and V+ is not equal to V-. And I also know that this is a voltage comparator.

6. Feb 14, 2012 #5
    Since it is a comparator, Am i right to say that when:
    V+ > V- the output voltage will be +Vs
    V- > V+ the output voltage will be -Vs

In this question since V- > V+, can i safely say that the output voltage will be -10v ?

7. Feb 14, 2012 #6
    Yes, that is correct (altho no sign is given for Vi I think you can assume that it is +)

8. Feb 14, 2012 #7

gneill

In practice you can 'safely' say it if you've determined that the non-ideal characteristics of the op-amp won't leave the output in the active region rather than saturated (pegged to either supply rail). In this case the gain and input resistance happen to be sufficiently high so that this is not an issue.

9. Apr 11, 2012 #8
    Operational Amplifier

I need a circuit that adds an AC signal with magnitude of 25mV and a variable DC signal between 0 to 5V, and applies it to a diode.

10. Apr 11, 2012 #9

gneill

Re: Operational Amplifier

You might want to ask the question in the Electrical Engineering forum, or investigate "summing amplifier".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook