Problem reducing quadratic to diagonal form

In summary, the desired diagonal form for the expression xy+zy is Q(x)= (y + (x+z)/2)^2 + ((x+z)/2)^2 - y^2, where the linear functions alpha1 = y + (x+z)/2, alpha2 = (x+z)/2, and alpha3 = y are linearly dependent. Setting u= x + z and using the identity in post #2 can help to reduce the expression to diagonal form.
lep11

Homework Statement

Reduce ##xy+zy## to diagonal form.

Homework Equations

The desired diagonal form is ##Q(\vec{x})=(\alpha_1(\vec{x}))^2+...+(\alpha_k(\vec{x}))^2-(\alpha_{k+1}(\vec{x}))^2-...-(\alpha_{k+l}(\vec{x}))^2,## where ##\alpha_i## are linearly independent linear functions. Also known as 'changing the variables in quadratic form'.

The Attempt at a Solution

##xy+zy=y^2+yx+yz+(\frac{x}{2})^2+\frac{xz}{2}+(\frac{z}{2})^2-((\frac{x}{2})^2+\frac{xz}{2}+(\frac{z}{2})^2)-y^2=(y+\frac{x}{2}+\frac{z}{2})^2+(\frac{x}{2}+\frac{z}{2})^2-y^2##, but now
##\alpha_1=y+\frac{x}{2}+\frac{z}{2}##
##\alpha_2=\frac{x}{2}+\frac{z}{2}##
##\alpha_3=y##
are linearly dependent. I have tried several different substitutions without success. There's also the matrix method which I am not familiar with. This rather simple problem is giving me headache.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hint
$$xy=\left(\frac{x}{2}+\frac{y}{2}\right)^2-\left(\frac{x}{2}-\frac{y}{2}\right)^2$$

lurflurf said:
hint
$$xy=\left(\frac{x}{2}+\frac{y}{2}\right)^2-\left(\frac{x}{2}-\frac{y}{2}\right)^2$$
Using that lead to situation where the ##\alpha##'s weren't linearly independent.

sorry try
$$\left( \frac{x}{2} \pm \frac{y}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{z}{2} \right)^2$$
As the two

lep11 said:

Homework Statement

Reduce ##xy+zy## to diagonal form.

Homework Equations

The desired diagonal form is ##Q(\vec{x})=(\alpha_1(\vec{x}))^2+...+(\alpha_k(\vec{x}))^2-(\alpha_{k+1}(\vec{x}))^2-...-(\alpha_{k+l}(\vec{x}))^2,## where ##\alpha_i## are linearly independent linear functions. Also known as 'changing the variables in quadratic form'.

The Attempt at a Solution

##xy+zy=y^2+yx+yz+(\frac{x}{2})^2+\frac{xz}{2}+(\frac{z}{2})^2-((\frac{x}{2})^2+\frac{xz}{2}+(\frac{z}{2})^2)-y^2=(y+\frac{x}{2}+\frac{z}{2})^2+(\frac{x}{2}+\frac{z}{2})^2-y^2##, but now
##\alpha_1=y+\frac{x}{2}+\frac{z}{2}##
##\alpha_2=\frac{x}{2}+\frac{z}{2}##
##\alpha_3=y##
are linearly dependent. I have tried several different substitutions without success. There's also the matrix method which I am not familiar with. This rather simple problem is giving me headache.

What happens if you set [itex]u= x + z[/itex] so that [itex]Q = uy[/itex]? Doesn't the identity in post #2 then work?

What is the process of reducing a quadratic equation to diagonal form?

The process of reducing a quadratic equation to diagonal form involves using a method called diagonalization, which transforms the original quadratic equation into a diagonal matrix. This allows for easier solution and analysis of the equation.

Why is it important to reduce a quadratic equation to diagonal form?

Reducing a quadratic equation to diagonal form can simplify the equation and make it easier to solve and analyze. It also allows for the identification of important values such as eigenvalues and eigenvectors, which can provide valuable information about the behavior of the equation.

What are the steps involved in reducing a quadratic equation to diagonal form?

The steps involved in reducing a quadratic equation to diagonal form include finding the eigenvalues, finding the eigenvectors, constructing the diagonal matrix, and finally solving the equation using the diagonal form. Each of these steps involves specific calculations and techniques.

What are the applications of reducing a quadratic equation to diagonal form?

Reducing a quadratic equation to diagonal form has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations, analyze the behavior of physical systems, and simplify complex mathematical models.

Is there a specific method or formula for reducing a quadratic equation to diagonal form?

Yes, there are various methods and formulas for reducing a quadratic equation to diagonal form, such as the diagonalization method, Gaussian elimination, and the Jordan canonical form. The choice of method depends on the specific characteristics of the equation and the desired outcome.