Problem regarding centre of mass and linear momentum.

In summary, the smaller block reaches the bottom end of the triangular block, but because of the friction between the two blocks, the triangular block moves at a slower velocity than the smaller block.
sankalpmittal

Homework Statement

A block of mass "m" is placed on a triangular block of mass "M" , which in turn is placed on a horizontal surface as shown in figure. Assuming frictionless surfaces , find the velocity of the triangular block when the smaller block reaches the bottom end.

Figure : http://postimage.org/image/cv0qo69kd/

Homework Equations

If no external net forces act on a system :
Conservation of linear momentum : Pf=Pi
Also if net external forces are zero , and initially system is at rest then , by concept of centre of mass ,
m1x1=m2x2
m1Δx1=m2Δx2

The Attempt at a Solution

Now Here is what I tried so far :

Let's take two blocks as a system , no net external force acts horizontally , centre of mass will not change its position in that direction. But how to apply conservation of momentum here ? I am totally confused. This is question too different from others I tried.

I did 58 questions of centre of mass , and this 59th one has bashed my brain hard.

Please help !

Thanks in advance... :smile:

Likes carlyn medona
Physics news on Phys.org
sankalpmittal said:
If no external net forces act on a system :
What about gravity?

tms said:
What about gravity?

Re-read. I said no net external force acts on the system in horizontal direction below "The attempt at a solution".

square root of [2mgh/(M+m)]?

Leong said:

I have not solved the problem, but shouldn't the answer be a function of θ? For θ=90°, for instance, we know the answer should be zero, since m would be in freefall and would not "push" the triangular block.

[itex] v = \sqrt{\dfrac{2mgh}{M+\frac{M^2}{m\cos^2{\theta}}}} [/itex], maybe?

Not sure my answer is correct, but here are a few hints: Use conservation of linear momentum (horizontal) to relate V (velocity of big block) to the HORIZONTAL component of v (velocity of small block).

Use also conservation of energy. Notice that in the end you have KE for both blocks, and KE depends on the magnitude of velocity (not only the horizontal component. How can you relate v to v_horizontal?)

UPDATE: Notice that [itex]v \rightarrow 0 [/itex] as [itex] \theta \rightarrow 90°[/itex] :)

fgb said:
I have not solved the problem, but shouldn't the answer be a function of θ? For θ=90°, for instance, we know the answer should be zero, since m would be in freefall and would not "push" the triangular block.
What you said is very true.

Leong said:

Not even near.

fgb said:

You're correct.

fgb said:

Not sure my answer is correct, but here are a few hints: Use conservation of linear momentum (horizontal) to relate V (velocity of big block) to the HORIZONTAL component of v (velocity of small block).

Use also conservation of energy. Notice that in the end you have KE for both blocks, and KE depends on the magnitude of velocity (not only the horizontal component. How can you relate v to v_horizontal?)

UPDATE: Notice that [itex]v \rightarrow 0 [/itex] as [itex] \theta \rightarrow 90°[/itex] :)

Almost near to correct answer put thinking straightforward your answer is also incorrect. Numerator part of your answer completely matches with the correct answer , however denominator part does not. Thanks for replies anyway.

Ok , perhaps you might have done some careless mistakes as your logic's fine. I will use your logic to see if I get the correct answer. Will get back on ya.

Edit : In image , angle is alpha , and its intact.

Last edited:
Hii fgb ,

I tried all those hints , and get the same answer as yours , exactly same..

My first attempt was as follows :

Let the velocity of small block be v1 at bottom and the triangular block be traveling due left by v2 ,

Applying conservation of linear momentum at bottom ,

mv1cos(α) = Mv2
v1=Mv2/m

Considering conservation of mechanical energy for the system :

mv12/2 + Mv22/2 = mgh

Now putting v1=Mv2/m in above equation , I got the answer same as yours yet not the correct answer.

Now here comes the second attempt :

I realized that as small block comes down it will have two velocity vectors. One v1cos(α) and the other v2 , it will also be traveling backwards at peak point and thus , I obtained :

mv1cos(α) = Mv2 + mv2
v1=v2(M+m)/mcos(α)

Then I again used conservation of mechanical energy equation. Still I got the numerator part correct but denominator part did not match.

May be others can reply. I am clueless.
Some hints will do...

Last edited:
fgb said:

[itex] v = \sqrt{\dfrac{2mgh}{M+\frac{M^2}{m\cos^2{\alpha}}}}= \sqrt{\dfrac{2mgh}{M+\frac{M^2}{m}(1+\tan^2{\alpha})}}[/itex]

ehild

ehild said:
[itex] v = \sqrt{\dfrac{2mgh}{M+\frac{M^2}{m\cos^2{\alpha}}}}= \sqrt{\dfrac{2mgh}{M+\frac{M^2}{m}(1+\tan^2{\alpha})}}[/itex]

ehild

Hii ehild ! :smile:

I can not understand. The answer posted by fgb is wrong and does not match with by textbook's answer , no matter how it is changed by applying trigonometry.

Edit : Please see my working in post #9. Where did I do wrong ?

sankalpmittal, could you post the correct answer? I know it is kind of cheating, but it might be useful to find out where we are getting it wrong :P

fgb said:
sankalpmittal, could you post the correct answer? I know it is kind of cheating, but it might be useful to find out where we are getting it wrong :P
The answer given is ,

[{2m2ghcos2α}/{(M+m)(M+msin2α)}]1/2

The velocity of the block with respect to the slope is parallel to the slope, the velocity in the rest frame of reference is not.

Let be u the speed of the block with respect to the slope, traveling with velocity v2 then the velocity in the rest frame of reference is vx=v2+ucosα, the y component is vy=-usinα. You have to calculate the KE of the block from these vx and vy.

ehild

Likes carlyn medona
ehild said:
The velocity of the block with respect to the slope is parallel to the slope, the velocity in the rest frame of reference is not.

Let be u the speed of the block with respect to the slope, traveling with velocity v2 then the velocity in the rest frame of reference is vx=v2+ucosα, the y component is vy=-usinα. You have to calculate the KE of the block from these vx and vy.

ehild

I followed your method ,

m(vx2+vy2)/2 + Mv22/2 = mgh

And

mvx = Mv2

Putting ,vx=v2+ucosα
And vy=-usinα in above two equations , I got the answer as :

[{2m2ghcos2α}/{M2+m2sin2α+Mm-3Mmsin2α}]1/2

This denominator part does not match the correct answer.

sankalpmittal said:
You denoted the speed of the slope by v2. In that case vx=-v2+ucos(alpha).

ehild

Likes carlyn medona
ehild said:
sankalpmittal said:
You denoted the speed of the slope by v2. In that case vx=-v2+ucos(alpha).

ehild

Phew ! Now I got the correct answer ! Thanks a lot for help , ehild ! :smile:

Uhh , I can see that I lost my entire day doing my question... :rolleyes:

Also , seeing the back of my textbook , its given a hint for this question. It asks me to find the acceleration of the slope and the relative acceleration of the small block. You gave me entirely different method , thanks once again.

These "moving constraints" problems are really tricky. Using conservation of energy and conservation of momentum looked the easiest method to apply, and it was your method:)

ehild

ehild said:
These "moving constraints" problems are really tricky. Using conservation of energy and conservation of momentum looked the easiest method to apply, and it was your method:)

ehild
You're good. You can see the different reference frames and introduce relative velocity.

Related to Problem regarding centre of mass and linear momentum.

1. What is the centre of mass and why is it important in physics?

The centre of mass is the point at which the entire mass of a body can be considered to be concentrated. It is important in physics because it helps us understand the overall motion of an object, as well as the forces acting on it.

2. How is the centre of mass calculated?

The centre of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average position of the individual particles that make up an object. This is done by multiplying the mass of each particle by its distance from a chosen reference point, and then dividing the sum of these products by the total mass of the object.

3. What is the difference between centre of mass and centre of gravity?

The centre of mass refers to the balance point of an object in terms of its mass, while the centre of gravity refers to the balance point of an object in terms of the gravitational force acting on it. In most cases, these two points are located in the same place, but they can differ if the object is subject to non-uniform gravitational fields.

4. How does the centre of mass affect an object's stability?

The centre of mass is directly related to an object's stability. If the centre of mass is located above the base of support, the object will be stable. However, if the centre of mass is located outside of the base of support, the object will be unstable and may topple over.

5. What is the relationship between linear momentum and the centre of mass?

Linear momentum is a measure of the quantity of motion of an object, and it is directly related to the velocity and mass of the object. The centre of mass plays a crucial role in calculating an object's linear momentum, as it is used as the reference point for determining the object's velocity and position.