1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem resolving forces into components

1. Sep 22, 2014 #1
    I have problems with this question:

62d306ea7ba4c5d56ff4ab351d23529e.png

This is how I resolved v into its components (Vr and Vtheta):

7b408312dc76a0833d3c8c657c5d2659.png

So with this I get
    Vr = - V cos theta
    Vtheta = V sin theta

However in my solution booklet the components are the other way around (Vr = - V sin theta, Vtheta = V cos theta) and I cannot figure out why. It makes no sense... am I right and the solution wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2014 #2
    The solution manual is wrong.

4. Sep 23, 2014 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The extreme cases support you. When theta is small, (the piston is in line with the lever) almost all the change is in r and theta is almost constant. Conversely, when the lever arm is straight up (theta=90), r doesn't change and theta is the only thing changing. That puts the cos and sin where you have them.

5. Sep 23, 2014 #4
    Thought so. Thanks. Another problem I have with the solution manual is that it says the magnitude of the total acceleration is zero and therefore the radial acceleration = angular acceleration (Ar = Atheta). Is this true? Because I thought the constant velocity only meant the tangential acceleration was zero... and there would be still be a normal acceleration equal to v^2 / r.

6. Sep 23, 2014 #5
    Either the solution manual is wrong again, or you have misread it somehow. ##\ddot r## and ##\ddot theta## have different units, so they can't be equal unless 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted