Problem Solving Physics students vs Non-science students

In summary, the goal of the airplane on a treadmill problem is to determine if the airplane will take off.
2slowtogofast
I have to write a report and in one section I have to give the same problem to a bunch of physics students and a bunch of non-science majors to solve. Then I have to compare their techniques of solving it.

I need help finding a problem to test problem solving skills that a non-math/science major can solve that will still test problem solving skills. What I mean by that is it can't be a math or physics problem but it still has to test problem solving skills. Any one got any ideas

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know whether that is the kind of test you are supposed to prepare, but there are standard examples for experiments on functional fixedness like Duncker's candle holder problem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Candle_Problem or Maier's two-cord problem.
Maybe you can come up with a variation on one of these classic experiments.

How about something like those puzzles in IQ tests. They usually don't require maths, only logic and mental gymnastics. Though I'm not sure if it will test their problem solving skills unless you ask them to write down their thought process. Also some logic problems might be useful.

Cthugha said:
I do not know whether that is the kind of test you are supposed to prepare, but there are standard examples for experiments on functional fixedness like Duncker's candle holder problem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Candle_Problem or Maier's two-cord problem.
Maybe you can come up with a variation on one of these classic experiments.

I like the candle holder problem, especially if you were to throw some engineering students into the mix.

Mhorton91 said:
I like the candle holder problem, especially if you were to throw some engineering students into the mix.
I think it's essential to present the box with the tacks inside. It's kind of a no-brainer to use the box when it's not presented as a container for the tacks. When it is, some people can get mentally stuck there, and you authentically separate the problem solvers from the others.

Airplane on a treadmill...will it take off?

1. What is the difference between problem-solving skills in physics students and non-science students?

The main difference lies in their understanding of scientific concepts and their ability to apply them in problem-solving. Physics students have a deeper understanding of fundamental principles and mathematical equations, which allows them to approach problems in a more analytical and systematic way.

2. Do physics students have an advantage in problem-solving compared to non-science students?

Yes, they do. Physics students are trained to think critically and logically, which are essential skills for problem-solving. They are also exposed to a wide range of problem-solving techniques and strategies, which give them an edge over non-science students.

3. Can non-science students improve their problem-solving skills in physics?

Absolutely. While physics students may have a head start, problem-solving skills can be developed and improved with practice. Non-science students can learn to think critically and apply scientific principles through hands-on activities and practice problems.

4. How can physics students use their problem-solving skills outside of the classroom?

Physics students can apply their problem-solving skills in various fields, including engineering, medicine, and research. They can also use these skills in their everyday lives to analyze and solve real-world problems.

5. Are there any specific strategies that physics students use for problem-solving?

Yes, there are various problem-solving strategies that physics students learn, such as breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, drawing diagrams and graphs, and using mathematical equations to solve problems. They also use trial and error and critical thinking to find solutions.