Problem with an Undamped Forced Motion

• Thread starter mgier001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem assigned by a professor involving variables m, k, a, t(0), and t'(0) and their relation to the DE x''(t)+4x'(t)+20x(t)=e-t with given initial conditions. The method of m2+4m+20=0 is used to determine the roots and yc=e-2t[c1sin(4t)+c2cos(4t)] is found. The conversation also mentions difficulties in finding examples for F(t)=cos(t) and asks for help or guidance. The conversation concludes with the author sharing their solution yc=e-2t((1/2)sin4t+cos4t) and asking for
mgier001
My professor assigned us a problem where
m=16 lb
k=10 lb/ft
a=2
t(0)=1 ft
t'(0)=0 ft/sec

Through this I determined the DE
x''(t)+4x'(t)+20x(t)=e-t
with initial conditions mentioned above.

Using the method of m2+4m+20=0
I got roots of -2±4i
Therefore, my yc=e-2t[c1sin(4t)+c2cos(4t)]

Next I attempted to solve further the problem, but I did not understand what to do as the examples I could find throughout the internet and my textbook all are regarding F(t)=cos(t) or similar.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Unfortunately the problem is due tomorrow morning so any quick help is more preferred ;)

Matt!

Physics news on Phys.org
I managed to find
c1=1/2
c2=1

So
yc=e-2t((1/2)sin4t+cos4t)

Now what to do :confused:

I did some more work, can someone verify that this is correct please? :)

21mg29f.jpg

Thanks.

Also, the graph I got from my general solution is provided by this link: "[URL

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually ended up getting y=(e^(-2x))((8/17)sin(4x)+(16/17)cos(4x))+(1/17)e^(-x)
I hope this is right :).

1. What is "Problem with an Undamped Forced Motion"?

"Problem with an Undamped Forced Motion" refers to a physical system that experiences a periodic external force without any damping or resistance. This can result in a constant amplitude of oscillation, which can lead to potential problems or complications in the system.

2. What are the potential consequences of an undamped forced motion?

Undamped forced motion can cause the system to reach resonance, where the amplitude of oscillation becomes very large. This can lead to excessive wear and tear on the system, damage to the system, or even complete failure if the resonance is not controlled.

3. How is resonance controlled in an undamped forced motion system?

Resonance in an undamped forced motion system can be controlled by adjusting the frequency of the external force or by introducing damping into the system. Damping helps to dissipate the energy from the oscillations, preventing them from building up and reaching resonance.

4. What is the role of frequency in undamped forced motion?

The frequency of the external force plays a crucial role in undamped forced motion. If the frequency of the external force is close to the natural frequency of the system, resonance can occur. However, if the frequency is significantly different, the system will not experience resonance and may be able to operate safely.

5. How can undamped forced motion be mitigated?

Undamped forced motion can be mitigated by introducing damping into the system, adjusting the frequency of the external force, or redesigning the system to have a different natural frequency. It is important to carefully consider the consequences and potential solutions when dealing with undamped forced motion in a physical system.