Problem with caclulatin forces in structure

In summary, the individual is facing a problem in calculating the forces on a structure. They have provided a picture and attempted a solution, but are stuck with 6 equations that are actually only 3 equations. The forces 450N and 300N are given and the distances are in metres. It is important to note that all the forces must balance each other, meaning they sum to zero. However, there may be additional variables that need to sum to zero as well. The individual is seeking assistance in finding a solution.
louike
Hallo all, I have been working on a little problem.
I have to calculate the forces on a certain structure, but I can not seem to find the solution.

I have given a picture, drawing with my attempt and the drawing of how I try to solve it.

The first drawing is to find the first forces, those are easy.
Then I split the structure in 2 structures to find the other forces, however when I do this I get 2 structures with 3 equations, in total 6 equations. But when you try to work those 6 calculaitions, you will see they are the same (meaning those 6 equations are only 3 equations).

Any one who can help me out here?

The forces 450N and 300N are given.

http://img375.imageshack.us/my.php?image=teck0.jpg
http://img375.imageshack.us/my.php?image=teck0.jpg
The distances are in metres (drawing is not really accurate in scale:rofl:)

As you can so I start of with calculating the force on A , then I find the forces in C.

But then I get stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're obviously aware that all the forces must balance each other, i.e. they sum to zero.

What else should sum to zero here?p.s. Welcome to PF!

Redbelly98 said:
You're obviously aware that all the forces must balance each other, i.e. they sum to zero.

What else should sum to zero here?

p.s. Welcome to PF!

I do not know.

I just wrote down 3 equations for each drawing (1+2) meaning 6 in total, but they are the same.

X forces: 450N + Dx + Bx = 0
Y: By - Ay - Dy = 0
M around B makes: +Ay. 0,15 -450. 0,25 - Dy.0,45 + Dx.0,1

for 2 its the same: they are the same then for 1.

so what can I do then?

1. What is the problem with calculating forces in a structure?

The problem with calculating forces in a structure is that it can be a complex and time-consuming task. Structures can have multiple interconnected components and external forces acting on them, making it difficult to accurately determine the forces at play.

2. How do you determine the forces in a structure?

To determine the forces in a structure, you can use mathematical equations such as Newton's laws of motion and static equilibrium equations. These equations take into account the mass, acceleration, and direction of all the components and forces in the structure.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of force calculations in a structure?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of force calculations in a structure. These include assumptions made during the calculations, material properties, external forces such as wind or seismic activity, and human error.

4. How do you account for uncertainties in force calculations for a structure?

Uncertainties in force calculations for a structure can be accounted for by using safety factors. These are predetermined values that are applied to the calculated forces to ensure the structure can withstand unexpected loads. It is also important to conduct thorough testing and analysis to identify any potential weak points in the structure.

5. Can computer programs be used to calculate forces in a structure?

Yes, computer programs can be used to calculate forces in a structure. These programs use numerical methods and advanced algorithms to simulate and analyze the behavior of a structure under various loads. However, it is important to validate the results and make any necessary adjustments as computer programs are not always 100% accurate.