Integration Problem with Inconsistent Results

In summary, the problem discussed is an integration problem involving \int \frac{1}{sin^{-1} x\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx}, which is directly integrable. However, when using integration by parts, it leads to a result of \int \frac{1}{sin^{-1} x\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx} = 1 + \int \frac{1}{sin^{-1} x\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx}, which may seem strange. This is due to the fact that indefinite integrals can differ by a constant, and the arbitrary constant produced by the first integration is neglected. This can be seen in simpler examples such as \int \frac{
truewt
Hi guys. I have a problem with an integration problem I've recently stumbled upon.

[tex]\int \frac{1}{sin^{-1} x\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx}[/tex]

This is directly integrable, but if I do it by parts, I get a weird result of [tex]\int \frac{1}{sin^{-1} x\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx} = 1 + \int \frac{1}{sin^{-1} x\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx}[/tex]! Why is that so?

EDIT: Why doesn't my LaTeX work?!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
"Hi guys. I have a problem with an integration problem I've recently stumbled upon.

[tex]\int\frac{1}{sin^{-1} x\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx}[/tex]

This is directly integrable, but if I do it by parts, I get a weird result of [tex]\int\frac{1}{sin^{-1} x\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx} = 1 + \int\frac{1}{sin^{-1} x\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx}[/tex]! Why is that so?

EDIT: Why doesn't my LaTeX work?!"
Use lower case letters, tex, rather than TeX

Last edited:
arildno said:
"Hi guys. I have a problem with an integration problem I've recently stumbled upon.

[tex]\int\frac{1}{sin^{-1} x\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx}[/tex]

This is directly integrable, but if I do it by parts, I get a weird result of [tex]\int\frac{1}{sin^{-1} x\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx} = 1 + \int\frac{1}{sin^{-1} x\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx}[/tex]! Why is that so?

EDIT: Why doesn't my LaTeX work?!"
Use lower case letters, tex, rather than TeX

blackfffggggggggggggg

Thanks arildno :)

[tex]\frac{1}{\sin^{-1} x\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]
is that
[tex]\frac{1}{\sin^{-1}(x)} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{1}{\sin^{-1}\left( x\sqrt{1-x^2} \right)}[/tex]

Last edited:
CompuChip said:
[tex]\frac{1}{sin^{-1} x\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]
is that
[tex]\frac{1}{sin^{-1}(x)} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{1}{sin^{-1}\left( x\sqrt{1-x^2} \right)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{sin^{-1}(x)} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]

this.

Remember that:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\sin^{-1}(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/tex]

Yes if you do it by parts, we integrate [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt {1-x^{2}}}[/tex]

Then we differentiate [tex]\frac{1}{sin^{-1}x}[/tex]. Then you'll end up with something weird, 1=0?!

Last edited:
truewt said:
Yes if you do it by parts, we integrate [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt {1-x^{2}}}[/tex]

But why would you try to use integration by parts for this, when this problem practically begs for a different method? Have you tried making a substitution?

To answer the OP's question, integrals can differ by a constant. You can't just "cancel" your integrals in the equation where you seem to have 1=0. If you differentiate both sides of the equation, everything works out nicely. At least in basic calculus, the indefinite integral is simply defined to be the inverse of the derivative. Because the derivative of a constant is 0, indefinite integrals must be defined only up to a constant.

Also, if you actually want to evaluate the integral, listen to d_leet.

The same "problem" as in the original post can be much easier seen by integrating 1/x by parts (writing it as [itex]1 \cdot 1/x[/itex]), which will also give you
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x} = 1 + \int \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
and hence seems to prove that 1 = 0.

to the OP: if y=arcsin(x) what is y'

JonF said:
to the OP: if y=arcsin(x) what is y'

He made it clear he knew how to do this with a substitution in his first post! musicheck's post is exactly where the OP needed to hear.

Thank you musicheck. And to the other posters: thanks, but I do know that this expression is directly integrable.

Musicheck, what you mean is that indefinite integrals can differ simply by a constant, since on both sides of the integral we will get arbitary constants, right?

So what I am assuming here is that integration by parts will not always lead us to an answer (I know sometimes it does lead to a more complicated expression to integrate, but here, it leads to the indefinite integral repeating itself? Why is that so? Is there something to do with the definition of integration by parts itself?

I think he meant that integral expressions are an equivalence class of functions such that two functions f and g belong to the same equivalence class iff f(x)+c(x)=g(x) for some constant function c(x) (meaning that c'(x)=0).

For example, the derivative of x+C where C is an arbitrary constant in respect to x is 1. Therefore the antiderivative of 1 is x+C. This could be just x, x+1, or any other x+C since they all have the same derivative.

Last edited:
truewt said:
Thank you musicheck. And to the other posters: thanks, but I do know that this expression is directly integrable.

Musicheck, what you mean is that indefinite integrals can differ simply by a constant, since on both sides of the integral we will get arbitary constants, right?

So what I am assuming here is that integration by parts will not always lead us to an answer (I know sometimes it does lead to a more complicated expression to integrate, but here, it leads to the indefinite integral repeating itself? Why is that so? Is there something to do with the definition of integration by parts itself?

I don't think you got what Musicheck was getting at. What he was saying is that when you integrate your function by parts the first time, you're neglecting the arbitrary constant that comes out of the integration which produces the first term on the right hand side. Using the 1/x example, you don't actually get

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x} = 1 + \int \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

Rather, what you get is

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x} = (1 + C) + \int \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

where C is an "arbitrary" constant which is equal to -1, as you can see by cancelling the indefinite integrals on both sides. Plugging C = -1 into that expression, you get

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x} = \int \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

which is what we expect.

To reinforce this, consider a definite integration by parts:

[tex]\int_1^t \frac{dx}{x} = x \frac{1}{x}|_1^t + \int_1^t \frac{dx}{x} = (1-1) + \int_1^t \frac{dx}{x} = \int_1^t \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

Integrations by parts reproducing the original integral in the expansion is also fine in general. Consider:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^x e^t \cos t dt = e^t \cos t |_{-\infty}^{x} + \int_{-\infty}^x e^t \sin t dt[/tex]

= [tex]e^x \cos x + \left( e^t \sin t |_{-\infty}^{x} - \int_{-\infty}^x e^t \cos t dt \right)[/tex]

The original integral is on both sides of the expression, but with opposite signs, so you get

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^x e^t \cos t dt = \frac{1}{2}\left(e^x \cos x + e^x \sin x \right)[/tex]

So, integrals being repeated during integrations by parts is fine (even in the indefinite integral case, so long as you are careful with the arbitrary constants).

Last edited:
Ah okay I see what you are going at. But arbitrary constants can appear on both the LHS and RHS of the equations, that's what I was trying to mean.

1. What is the problem with integration?

The problem with integration is that it involves combining different parts or elements into a whole. This can be challenging because the parts may not easily fit together or there may be conflicts between them.

2. How does integration affect scientific research?

Integration is crucial in scientific research as it allows for the synthesis of information from multiple disciplines. However, the problem with integration can lead to barriers and limitations in understanding complex phenomena.

3. What are some common barriers to integration?

Some common barriers to integration include disciplinary boundaries, differences in methodologies, and conflicts between theories or models. These can make it difficult to merge different perspectives and approaches.

4. How can scientists overcome the problem of integration?

To overcome the problem of integration, scientists can utilize interdisciplinary research methods, collaborate with experts from different fields, and actively seek out diverse perspectives and approaches.

5. What are the benefits of successful integration in scientific research?

Successful integration in scientific research can lead to a more comprehensive understanding of complex phenomena, innovative solutions to problems, and the development of new interdisciplinary fields of study.