Problem with round bottomed flask

• Thread starter OH group student
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flask
In summary, a chemist encountered a problem with a round bottomed flask that was stuck in an isomantle after an organic experiment. Various methods were suggested, including using acetone or heating the joint with a heating gun. Another suggestion was to gently hit the joint with a wooden object and apply grease while heating. The chemist plans to try using acetone to dissolve whatever is holding the flask in place.
OH group student
urgent problem with round bottomed flask

i have just done an organic experiment on the synthsesis of propanone. when i was dismantling the distillation instruments, the round bottomed flask on the isomantle was stuck, maybe because of a small spilage of the original acidified dichromate solution. it is currently stuck in the isomantle and will not budge. I've tried putting vaseline around the side of it but to no avail. can anyone help me with this?
urgent

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This happens all the time at work. Try using some acetone, it may get in there and dissolve what ever is holding it together. The best thing though is to take a heating gun and heat up the joint until it gets very hot. That works 99% of the time.

i will try the acetone. thanks
i would try heating it but it was very hot on the isomantle in the first place and it still would not budge so acetone it is, if i can get my hands on some!

My offer is very simple; just take a wooden object (tube holder, etc.) and hit the joint very gently and patiently. It will budge after some time. You may accelerate this by applying some grease on the joint and heating. My approach works especially with stuck caps.

1. What is the purpose of a round bottomed flask?

A round bottomed flask is a type of laboratory glassware that is used for holding liquids and performing chemical reactions. It has a spherical bottom which allows for even heating and mixing of the contents.

2. Can a round bottomed flask be used for heating?

Yes, a round bottomed flask is commonly used for heating liquids and performing chemical reactions. However, it is important to use caution and proper equipment when heating a round bottomed flask to avoid any accidents or breakage.

3. What is the maximum temperature a round bottomed flask can withstand?

The maximum temperature a round bottomed flask can withstand depends on the type of glass it is made of. Generally, borosilicate glass round bottomed flasks can withstand temperatures up to 500°C, while quartz round bottomed flasks can withstand even higher temperatures up to 1000°C.

4. How do you clean a round bottomed flask?

To clean a round bottomed flask, first empty out the contents and rinse it with water. Then, add a cleaning solution such as soap or a mixture of water and vinegar. Swirl the solution around in the flask and use a brush to scrub the inside. Rinse thoroughly with water and let it dry before using it again.

5. Are round bottomed flasks airtight?

No, round bottomed flasks are not airtight. They typically have a narrow neck and do not have a stopper or lid to seal them completely. This allows for gases to escape during reactions and prevents pressure buildup inside the flask.