Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with round bottomed flask

1. Oct 21, 2005 #1
    urgent problem with round bottomed flask

i have just done an organic experiment on the synthsesis of propanone. when i was dismantling the distillation instruments, the round bottomed flask on the isomantle was stuck, maybe because of a small spilage of the original acidified dichromate solution. it is currently stuck in the isomantle and will not budge. i've tried putting vaseline around the side of it but to no avail. can anyone help me with this?
    urgent

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2005 #2
    This happens all the time at work. Try using some acetone, it may get in there and dissolve what ever is holding it together. The best thing though is to take a heating gun and heat up the joint until it gets very hot. That works 99% of the time.

4. Oct 21, 2005 #3
    i will try the acetone. thanks
    i would try heating it but it was very hot on the isomantle in the first place and it still would not budge so acetone it is, if i can get my hands on some!

5. Oct 25, 2005 #4

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My offer is very simple; just take a wooden object (tube holder, etc.) and hit the joint very gently and patiently. It will budge after some time. You may accelerate this by applying some grease on the joint and heating. My approach works especially with stuck caps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?