1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with tether balls - How high should I release the ball

1. Apr 28, 2004 #1
    hi, im a grade 12 student and am stuck on this question. could somebody help me solve it or solve it for me.
    the question is:
    A 1 kg tether ball is suspended by a string .8 m long from a nail a point X, .5 m vertically above a horizontal rob at Y. when the ball is released from Z, it swings down and the string catches on Y. how high above Y must the tether ball be released so that it will swing completely around a circle of a radius .3 m about point Y.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

At its lowest point, .8 m below X, the ball must have enough kinetic energy that, after it has "caught" on y and swings to its highest point .3m above y (and so .6 m above its lowest point- .2 m below X, it still has some kinetic energy left to "get over the top".

4. May 1, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Careful... the amount of KE that must be left at the top is non-zero: there is a mimimum amount needed to keep the string taut. (Hint: releasing the ball 0.3m above Y will not give it enough speed.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?