Problem with the principle of induction

In summary, the principle of induction states that if a statement P(n) involving a general positive integer n is true for the first positive integer 1 and if P(k) implies P(k+1) for all positive integers k, then P(n) is true for all positive integers 1,2,3,... This may seem circular, but the key is that the implication itself must be true, not just presupposing that P(k) is true. The proof of the implication may seem circular, but it is not, as shown by examining incorrect inductive proofs.
mathsciguy
The principle of induction states that:
[tex]Suppose\ that\ P(n)\ is\ a\ statement\ involving\ a\ general\ positive\ integer\ n.\ Then\ P(n)\ is\ true\ for\ all\ positive\ integers\ 1,2,3,...\ if\ [/tex]
[tex] (i)\ P(1)\ is\ true,\ and [/tex]
[tex] (ii)\ P(k) \rightarrow P(k+1)\ for\ all\ positive\ integers\ k. [/tex]
I found it a bit circular to prove that the statement P(n) holds true for all n that is an element of natural numbers by presupposing P(k) is true for all k that is an element natural numbers.

That is what I thought at first, but I'm thinking that that's false, since what the principle of induction states in (ii) is that the implication itself is what needs to be true.

I'm still not too comfortable with the principle of induction, could anyone take a look on my thoughts?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I just have programmer's logic under my belt, but it doesn't seem circular to me, (i) and (ii) are conditions on which the principle is true. If the predicate P(1) is true from (i), and if we know that P(1+1) is true when P(1) is true from (ii), and that P(1+1+1) is true when P(1+1) is true..., then we know that P(k+1) is true when P(k) is true. So we can induce that P(n) is true for all positive integers?

hddd123456789 said:
I just have programmer's logic under my belt, but it doesn't seem circular to me, (i) and (ii) are conditions on which the principle is true. If the predicate P(1) is true from (i), and if we know that P(1+1) is true when P(1) is true from (ii), and that P(1+1+1) is true when P(1+1) is true..., then we know that P(k+1) is true when P(k) is true. So we can induce that P(n) is true for all positive integers?

Well, I get that. Just so I'm making myself clear, I actually thought about the circularity for some time and I tried to resolve it by adhering strictly on what the principle says, and that (i) and (ii) should be true; (ii) which states that the implication itself must be true and not just presupposing P(k) is true. I just want someone to give their insight on that.

hddd Got it right. It sounds like what you're looking for is a proof that induction itself works, for which there is a formal proof as well. Wikipedia has a pretty concise example here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathema...ical_induction

Is that the proof using the Well Ordering Principle? I'm actually familiar with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's the well ordered principle. I reread your question and you/re right, you must assume that (ii) is true. If you cannot make that assumption (or prove it), then you cannot prove that P(n) is true for all natural n via induction, and you must use some other proof.

Yes, the implication is what must be true. That P(k) implies P(k+1).

In order to prove the implication, you typically assume P(k), then deduce P(k+1) from that assumption. So a correct inductive proof can look circular, but it is not. Sometimes it helps to examine an incorrect inductive proof to see how they work. Consider
http://www.greylabyrinth.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=4371&sid=d2055447e6ff685ca3f562a112c3ed4c

And here are a couple with simpler errors.
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/inductn2.htm

1. What is the principle of induction?

The principle of induction is a logical and philosophical concept that states that if something has been observed to be true in the past, it is likely to be true in the future. In other words, it assumes that what has happened in the past will continue to happen in the future.

2. What is the problem with the principle of induction?

The problem with the principle of induction is that it is based on the assumption that the future will be like the past, which cannot be proven to be true. This means that it is possible for a future event to contradict what has been observed in the past, making the principle of induction unreliable.

3. How does the problem with the principle of induction affect scientific reasoning?

The problem with the principle of induction can create uncertainty in scientific reasoning, as it means that conclusions based on past observations may not always hold true in the future. This can lead to the need for continual testing and updating of theories, rather than relying on past observations as evidence.

4. Are there any proposed solutions to the problem with the principle of induction?

Yes, there are several proposed solutions to the problem with the principle of induction, such as the concept of falsifiability proposed by philosopher Karl Popper. This suggests that scientific theories should be tested by attempting to disprove them, rather than trying to prove them true.

5. How do scientists address the problem with the principle of induction in their research?

Scientists address the problem with the principle of induction by using a combination of inductive and deductive reasoning. Inductive reasoning is used to generate hypotheses based on observations, while deductive reasoning is used to test and refine these hypotheses. This helps to mitigate the uncertainty of the principle of induction and improve the reliability of scientific conclusions.