Theorems that can't be proved by induction

• Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the conversation discussed an example of a statement of the form ##\forall n~P(n)## that can be proved, but cannot be proved by induction, involving a sequence of sequences for positive integers. The example defines a sequence for each positive integer, with each sequence starting out growing absurdly fast and continuing to grow for a long time. However, the claim is that in each sequence, all but a finite number of terms are zero. The Goodstein theorem was suggested as a potential example, which states that it cannot be proved with first order Peano axioms, but can be proved with transfinite numbers or second order Peano axioms.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I know that I've seen an example of a statement of the form ##\forall n~P(n)## (where the scope of the "for all" is the set of positive integers) that can be proved, but can't be proved by induction. I thought I had seen it in one of Roger Penrose's books, but I have looked for it and wasn't able to find it. Maybe I saw it on some web page. I'm pretty sure that Penrose was involved somehow. The example defines a sequence for each positive integer. Each of the sequences starts out growing absurdly fast, and at an increasing rate, and it's clear that each sequence will continue to grow for a long time. But, if I remember correctly, the claim that you can't prove by induction, is that in each sequence, all but a finite number of terms are zero.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I would like to look at that example again. If you know any other fun examples of when induction fails, I'd be interested in them as well.

Last edited:
Likes S.G. Janssens
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Fredrik said:
The example defines a sequence for each positive real number. Each of the sequences starts out growing absurdly fast, and at an increasing rate, and it's clear that each sequence will continue to grow for a long time. But, if I remember correctly, the claim that you can't prove by induction, is that in each sequence, all but a finite number of terms are zero.

Interesting result. I'm afraid I don't know the example, but I have some questions. What is the role of the positive real number? Do you mean that for every real number ##a > 0## he defines a sequence ##(x_n)_{n \in \mathbb{N}}## such that ##x_1 = a##, the sequence has the described growth behavior, but eventually it becomes identically zero?

In that case, does the failure of induction have to do with the fact that ##(0,\infty) \times \mathbb{N}## is uncountable?

EDIT: Does it maybe also have to do with the fact that the natural number ##N(a)## such that ##x_n = 0## for all ##n \ge N(a)## itself grows beyond any bounds as a function of ##a##?

Sorry, I meant positive integer. I will edit my post. Thanks for spotting the mistake. The example involves a sequence of sequences.

Fredrik said:
Sorry, I meant positive integer. I will edit my post. Thanks for spotting the mistake. The example involves a sequence of sequences.
Ah ok, clear now.

EDIT: Incidentally, I would be curious to know how one proves that one cannot prove a certain proposition with induction. (Sorry for editing my post again, I think slowly.)

Krylov said:
EDIT: Incidentally, I would be curious to know how one proves that one cannot prove a certain proposition with induction. (Sorry for editing my post again, I think slowly.)
I think that this wasn't explained in that text. I'd be interested in that too. Maybe we can figure it out when we see the example.

Svein said:
Might it have been the Ackermann function (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_function)?
Yes, that might be it. Some of the expressions in the "table of values", like ##2^{2^{2^2}}-3##, look very familiar. So maybe the ##n##th sequence in the text I read was either ##(A(n,m))_{m=1}^\infty## or ##(A(m,n))_{m=1}^\infty##. I will take a closer look later.

@Fredrik I think it was the Goodstein theorem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodstein's_theorem
I am pretty convinced that Penrose indeed discussed the Goodstein theorem.

The theorem can't be proved with first order Peano axioms, including the first order induction. It can be proved with transfinite numbers, even though the theorem is a statement about finite numbers. It also can be proved with second order Peano axioms (with second order induction), but this is less known and usually ignored because most logicians don't like second order logic.

Last edited:
Demystifier said:
@Fredrik I think it was the Goodstein theorem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodstein's_theorem
I am pretty convinced that Penrose indeed discussed the Goodstein theorem.
That's definitely it. The "hereditary base n notation", the replacement n→n+1 and and the "-1" part of the construction all look familiar. Thanks.

1. What is a theorem that can't be proved by induction?

A common example of a theorem that can't be proved by induction is the well-known Goldbach's Conjecture, which states that every even integer greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers.

2. Why can't certain theorems be proved by induction?

The reason why certain theorems can't be proved by induction is because induction is a method of proof that relies on showing that a statement is true for a base case and then showing that if the statement is true for an arbitrary case, it must also be true for the next case. However, this method cannot be used to prove statements that have an infinite number of cases, which is often the case for more complex mathematical theorems.

3. Is there any alternative method to prove theorems that can't be proved by induction?

Yes, there are other methods of proof that can be used to prove theorems that can't be proved by induction. These include proof by contradiction, proof by construction, and proof by exhaustion. Each of these methods has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific theorem being proven.

4. Are there any theorems that have been proven to be unprovable by induction?

Yes, there are several famous theorems that have been proven to be unprovable by induction. In addition to Goldbach's Conjecture mentioned earlier, other examples include the Twin Prime Conjecture and the Collatz Conjecture. These theorems have been widely studied and many mathematicians have attempted to find a proof by induction, but so far, none have been successful.

5. Can the inability to prove a theorem by induction be seen as a limitation of this proof method?

While induction is a powerful and widely-used proof method, its limitations in proving certain theorems cannot be ignored. In fact, the inability to prove a theorem by induction often indicates the complexity and depth of the theorem itself, making it an intriguing and challenging area of study for mathematicians. Therefore, rather than a limitation, the inability to prove a theorem by induction can be seen as an opportunity for further exploration and discovery.