Problem with Theory of Resistance

In summary: The electrons are bumping into the protons.In summary, the problem statement is that the explanation of resistance given in my textbook and by my teacher does not make much sense to me. Resistance is explained as such: current is flowing through a conductor, and periodically runs into atoms. The collision between the charge carriers and the atoms cause them to slow down and release kinetic energy as thermal energy. However, when I think about it, atoms are mostly empty space and it is impossible for an electron to hit a nucleus. Furthermore, the attractive force between the electron and the protons is supposedly so strong that it will easily overcome whatever is producing the field/voltage that made the electron start to move in the first place
Noesis
1. The problem statement

The explanation of resistance in my textbook and given by my teacher (when I actually took the class) doesn't make much sense upon analysis to me.

From the model that I was taught, resistance is explained as such:

The charge carriers are flowing in current, and will periodically run into 'atoms.' This causes them to pause for a moment and slow down due to the collision, and then pick up speed again due to the electric field pressing them on.

The atoms then vibrate from the collision, and thus the kinetic energy imparted into the atoms is released as thermal energy. Which is why resistors heat up and whatnot.

Analysis and problem with model

Now this doesn't make much sense when I think about what atoms are.

In a metallic conductor the electrons are what are flowing in a 'sea' of them. So the electrons are what would bump into atoms.

Atoms are mostly empty space. There are electrons kind of orbitting about and at the very center the nucleus composed of protons and neutrons. So for an electron to hit an atom, what we are saying is that the electrons are hitting either other electrons or the nucleus.

It is impossible for them to hit other electrons (or so I think) because they would repel each other with immense force.

If an electron manages to hit the nucleus, the attractive force between the two should be so strong that it should no longer continue to move. Seeing as how the attractive force varies inversely proportional to distance squared, when the electron comes within such close range of the protons, and actually strikes them, the attractive force should be huge and should easily overcome whatever is producing the field/voltage that made the electron start to move in the first place.

So what gives?

Physics news on Phys.org
Noesis said:
If an electron manages to hit the nucleus, the attractive force between the two should be so strong that it should no longer continue to move. Seeing as how the attractive force varies inversely proportional to distance squared, when the electron comes within such close range of the protons, and actually strikes them, the attractive force should be huge and should easily overcome whatever is producing the field/voltage that made the electron start to move in the first place.

So what gives?

So what you're saying is that in a stable atom electrons don't orbit nuclei, they simply stick to the protons?

There's more than meets the eye! *hums Transformers theme*

Another way to think about it would be through mechanical energy.

Haha...you're right. That's always bothered me too.

So are these two phenomenon related?

Are the electrons actually bumping into the nucleus?

Optimus Prime in the nucleus.

(Disclaimer: I am far from an expert -- so take my words with a grain of salt)

I would imagine that an electron that managed to actually strike the nucleus would do so with far too much momentum to actually stay there. In fact, it could get no more stuck getting caught in the unoccupied orbital of the lowest energy!

But I imagine that "running into an atom" isn't analogous to a picture like one billiard ball striking another. I would expect it to be more like an electron getting too close and slingshotting around the atom (with some exchange of kinetic energy likely), or that it's just not physically meaningful to speak in any more detail than "an electron came in with some velocity, interacted with the atom, and left with a different velocity".

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
I would imagine that an electron that managed to actually strike the nucleus would do so with far too much momentum to actually stay there. In fact, it could get no more stuck getting caught in the unoccupied orbital of the lowest energy!

But I imagine that "running into an atom" isn't analogous to a picture like one billiard ball striking another. I would expect it to be more like an electron getting too close and slingshotting around the atom (with some exchange of kinetic energy likely), or that it's just not physically meaningful to speak in any more detail than "an electron came in with some velocity, interacted with the atom, and left with a different velocity".

Yar! The electron's got all this energy to conserve. It would have to lose some if it wanted to stick around.

I'm not sure what it means to talk about collisions between the constituents of an atom, either. Hmm. In any case, here are a couple of interesting links that talk a bit about the subject:

https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-40541.html
http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath538/kmath538.htm

Thanks for the responses guys.

That does make sense Hurkyl...but why the slingshotting around it?

Here's another website that states the familiar theory:

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/electromag/electricity/resistance.html

Looks like a cool website but here is the same part that I don't understand:

As electrons move through the conductor, some collide with atoms, other electrons, or impurities in the metal.

I can understand electrons colliding with the fieldof another electron, not the electron itself. But if it collided with the rest of the atom, which should be positively charged, then the momentum would be too large for it to stick?

Or does it slingshot around it like Hurkly suggested? Does this have a relation to the same reason why electrons don't just cave into the nucleus in atoms?

So many questions lol.

Noesis said:
As electrons move through the conductor, some collide with atoms, other electrons, or impurities in the metal.

I can understand electrons colliding with the fieldof another electron, not the electron itself.
The term "colliding with the atoms" is used loosely to imply that the mobile electrons are scattered by the potential (or the field, if you like that better) due to the lattice of ions that make up the conductor.

Electrons don't actually collide with each other like balls - they only scatter of each others' fields.

...or that it's just not physically meaningful to speak in any more detail than "an electron came in with some velocity, interacted with the atom, and left with a different velocity".
This is pretty close (to the typical propagator approach used by field-theorists), but a better description would note that, in a solid, each "free electron" actually interacts with the entire lattice of ions (not with individual atoms).

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Goku.

By lattice of ions I assume you mean the kind of framework that exists between the atoms themselves. So the electrons are interacting with this entire lattice of ions.

What prevents them from attracting themselves to the ions (which I imagine to be positively charged since their electron has gone off conducting somewhere)?

And a natural followup to that question would be...how exactly do they interact?

Things don't have to come in contact when undergoing a collision. For example, the gravitational slingshot technique used by satellites/spaceships is a nearly perfect elastic collision even though the ship never comes in contact with the planet. Energy is still transferred and the ship speeds up

1. What is the Theory of Resistance?

The Theory of Resistance is a scientific concept that explains how organisms, such as bacteria, can become resistant to certain drugs or treatments that were previously effective against them. It involves the genetic mutations and natural selection processes that allow these organisms to survive and reproduce despite the presence of these treatments.

2. What is the problem with the Theory of Resistance?

The main problem with the Theory of Resistance is that it does not fully explain all cases of resistance. There are instances where organisms become resistant to treatments without any apparent genetic mutations or natural selection processes. This suggests that there may be other factors at play in the development of resistance.

3. Can the Theory of Resistance be applied to all organisms?

No, the Theory of Resistance is primarily focused on microorganisms, such as bacteria and viruses. While some aspects of the theory may apply to larger organisms, such as plants and animals, it is not a comprehensive explanation for resistance in these organisms.

4. How does the Theory of Resistance impact healthcare?

The Theory of Resistance has significant implications for healthcare, as it helps to explain why some treatments may become less effective over time. This can lead to the development of new treatments and strategies to combat resistance, as well as the responsible use of existing treatments to slow the spread of resistance.

5. What are some potential solutions to the problem with the Theory of Resistance?

One potential solution is to expand the scope of the theory to include other factors that may contribute to resistance, such as epigenetic changes or horizontal gene transfer. Another solution is to continue researching and studying resistance in various organisms to gain a better understanding of the mechanisms involved and potential ways to prevent or combat it.