1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with Velocity

1. May 26, 2005 #1
    The initial speed of a car is 25ms^-1 and it accelerates for 4 secs to reach a speed of Vms^-1. It then maintains this velocity travelling at constant speed for a further 8 seconds. The total overla distance travlled is 600m.

I am really stuck.
    I used v = u+at to get one question.

v = 25 + 4a......1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2005 #2
    Ok there are basically two ways to this problem . One is that you have to apply kinematic equations for three different cases.

Secondly, a better one is that you draw a v-t graph which will start from 25 m/s and with +ve slope , then it goes forward at the same velocity and 0 slope for 8 secs.Now area under this graph is the distance travelled , that is 600 m.

I think you havent mentioned what is to be found in this problem, but the graph method will give you any value you want.
  4. May 26, 2005 #3
    oh yeah. I have to find the value V. Using the graph method, V comes out to be 75. Right?
  5. May 26, 2005 #4
    If you have correctly drawn the graph , using simple science you will get the correct answer.Check your answers .
  6. May 26, 2005 #5
    I used the trapezium rule for area under the graph (a+b/2 * height) to find V.
    v= 75ms^-1
  7. May 26, 2005 #6
    Yes answer is right then.Good Job.
  8. May 26, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is not the correct answer. At 75m/sec, in 8 sec the car would move 600m. The problem says the car moves a total of 600m during the entire time of 4 seconds while accelerating plus 8 additional seconds at constant speed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?