How can I calculate the correct velocity for the car?

• Thread starter Gughanath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the car starts with an initial speed of 25ms^-1 and accelerates for 4 seconds to reach a speed of Vms^-1. It then maintains this velocity for a further 8 seconds, resulting in a total distance traveled of 600m. The correct value for V is not 75ms^-1, as calculated using the trapezium rule, but instead can be found by drawing a v-t graph and using simple science.
Gughanath
The initial speed of a car is 25ms^-1 and it accelerates for 4 secs to reach a speed of Vms^-1. It then maintains this velocity traveling at constant speed for a further 8 seconds. The total overla distance travlled is 600m.

I am really stuck.
I used v = u+at to get one question.

v = 25 + 4a...1
now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok there are basically two ways to this problem . One is that you have to apply kinematic equations for three different cases.

Secondly, a better one is that you draw a v-t graph which will start from 25 m/s and with +ve slope , then it goes forward at the same velocity and 0 slope for 8 secs.Now area under this graph is the distance traveled , that is 600 m.

I think you haven't mentioned what is to be found in this problem, but the graph method will give you any value you want.

oh yeah. I have to find the value V. Using the graph method, V comes out to be 75. Right?

If you have correctly drawn the graph , using simple science you will get the correct answer.Check your answers .

I used the trapezium rule for area under the graph (a+b/2 * height) to find V.
v= 75ms^-1

Yes answer is right then.Good Job.

Gughanath said:
I used the trapezium rule for area under the graph (a+b/2 * height) to find V.
v= 75ms^-1

That is not the correct answer. At 75m/sec, in 8 sec the car would move 600m. The problem says the car moves a total of 600m during the entire time of 4 seconds while accelerating plus 8 additional seconds at constant speed.

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude. It is the measure of how fast an object is moving without considering its direction. Velocity, on the other hand, takes into account both the speed and direction of motion.

3. What are some common problems with velocity?

One common problem with velocity is calculating it in the wrong units. Velocity should be measured in units of distance per unit of time, such as meters per second or miles per hour. Another problem is confusing velocity with acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity over time.

4. How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. The formula for velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

5. How does velocity affect an object's motion?

Velocity affects an object's motion by determining its speed and direction. An object with a higher velocity will move faster and cover more distance in a given amount of time. The direction of velocity also plays a crucial role in an object's motion, as it determines the path it will take and how it will interact with other objects in its path.