Problem with work/acceleration

• Thread starter eventob
  • Start date
In summary, the particle experiences an external force Fxi and it starts from rest at x=x0=0m. It does work on the particle at x=4.00m, x=7.00m, and x=9.00m. The particle's speed is fastest at x=9.00m and direction is the same in all three positions.
eventob

Homework Statement

The graph shows the acceleration of a particle with mass 2.00kg, as a function of its position x. The particle experiences an external force Fxi. It starts from rest at x=x0=0m.

How much work is done on the particle at:
x=4.00m
x=7.00m
x=9.00m

What is the particles speed, and direction, in the same three positions?

This is not the original problem statement, but I had to translate it in order for you guys to understand it I guess. :)

Homework Equations

Not sure. I can't use the kinemtic equations, since my acceleration is not constant, but a function of the particles possition. Also, I don't have the information needed to use the work-energy-theorem: change in kinetic energy=work done=(1/2)m*v^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

Really not sure where to start. I'm used to having a graph of the force vs. position, and then I can just calculate the area under the f_x(x) curve, but I can't do that here. Is there an easy way to go from acceleration to force? Was thinking about Newtons second law, because then the units would work out.

Thanks for your time. :)

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
hi

you have a graph of a Vs x. first what you can do is write the equation of a(x) for different
parts of the graph. for example, from x=0 to x=1 we have a=6x (use coordinate geometry to
get the equation of the line). from x=1 to x=4 we have a=6 and so on. from Newton's second law we see Net force = ma so you can get the force acting on the right direction.
for example from x=0 to x=1, F=ma = 6mx. so

[tex]\vec{F}=6mx\, \hat{i}[/tex]
and work done would be
[tex]W=\int \vec{F} \cdot \vec{dx}[/tex]
[tex]W=\int F\hat{i} \cdot dx \hat{i} [/tex]
[tex]W=\int^1_0 6mx\,dx[/tex]

and so it turns out from x=0 to x=1 that [tex]\inline{W=6 J}[/tex]...you can work out in the same way for the other parts. the net work done from x=0 to x=4 would be the work done from x=0 to x=1 plus the work done from x=1 to x=4...:cool:

Thanks a lot. :)

for getting velocity, you need to express force in terms of displacement...
[tex]F=ma = m\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]F=m\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]F=m\frac{dv}{dx}\, v[/tex]

[tex]F=mv\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

Just to make sure I got it right:
a_x(x) = 6x, x in[0,1]
a_x(x) = 6, x in[1,4]
a_x(x) = -6x, x in[4,6]
a_x(x) = -6, x in[6,8]
a_x(x) = 6x, x in[8,9]

Then I just integrate each of these portions of the function with respect to x, and add them together to get the total work done on the object? I'm just asking, because intuitively I thought that the work done from x=4 to x=5 would be the same as from x=0 to x=1, just by looking at the graph, since the lines have the same magnitude and opposite directions.

When i integrate the part x in[4,5] I get = int(Fxi*dxi)=int(Fx dx) with the lower limit x=4 and upper limit x=5 which gives me -12N*(1/2)(5^2-4^2) = -54J

:)

its good to have intuition but math is far more reliable... anyway your equations
no 3 and 5 are wrong... work them out...use the endpoints of these line segments to
find the slope and then the equation of the line..

Slope=delta y / delta x

= -6-(-6) / (6-4) = -6= m

y-6=m(x-4)
y=-6x-6*(-4)+6
=-6x+30
a(x)=y(x)

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

1. What is the problem with work/acceleration?

The problem with work/acceleration is that it can be difficult to determine the cause of a change in acceleration. This can make it challenging to accurately measure and analyze the effects of acceleration on a system.

2. How does acceleration affect work?

Acceleration is a measure of the change in velocity over time. When there is a change in acceleration, it can impact the amount of work that is done on a system. In some cases, acceleration can increase the work being done, while in others it may decrease it.

3. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. Negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, occurs when there is a decrease in the velocity of an object over time. This can result in a decrease in the amount of work being done on the object.

4. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time. This will give you the acceleration in units of distance per time squared, such as meters per second squared.

5. What factors can affect work/acceleration?

There are several factors that can affect work/acceleration, including the mass of the object, the force being applied, and the friction and resistance in the system. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and gravity can also impact acceleration and work in certain scenarios.