Rethinking Time: Is Our Perception of Time Just an Illusion?

• Thread starter ebon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, relativity suggests that all referential frames of time are equally valid, right? This makes time seem so...redundant to me. Is it possible that time is really transposed. That is all events are occurring simultaneously. Of course this does not explain why we perceive time in a linear fashion. Perhaps our brains are incapable of crunching that much data and evolved to perceive only one timeline? However, this does not explain why we perceive time as a sequence of sequential events. Perhaps our brains are limited in the amount of data it can grasp at at once and evolved to perceive only one timeline?
ebon
Relativity suggests that all referential frames of time are equally valid, right? This makes time seem so...redundant to me. Is it possible that time is really transposed. That is all events are occurring simultaneously. Of course this does not explain why we perceive time in a linear fashion. Perhaps our brains are incapable of crunching that much data and evolved to perceive only one timeline?

To clarify I have been thinking of time like multi-threading in a cpu. Multiple time lines are occurring in parallel like this:

-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

but our brains can only process one of those threads and we trudge along blissfully unaware of all that is going on.

I mentioned this idea to someone but he told me that relativity disproves my theory in a 4-d universe and that parallel time requires 7-8 dimensions(he also claimed that branching time requires 5) but he never explained why/how this was true.

Have my concerns about time already been addressed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you mean by that!

ebon said:
Relativity suggests that all referential frames of time are equally valid, right? This makes time seem so...redundant to me. Is it possible that time is really transposed. That is all events are occurring simultaneously. Of course this does not explain why we perceive time in a linear fashion. Perhaps our brains are incapable of crunching that much data and evolved to perceive only one timeline?

To clarify I have been thinking of time like multi-threading in a cpu. Multiple time lines are occurring in parallel like this:

-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

but our brains can only process one of those threads and we trudge along blissfully unaware of all that is going on.

I mentioned this idea to someone but he told me that relativity disproves my theory in a 4-d universe and that parallel time requires 7-8 dimensions(he also claimed that branching time requires 5) but he never explained why/how this was true.

Have my concerns about time already been addressed?

How come you don't have the same "worry" about space? It "suffers" from similar frame-dependent effects as well? Why are people only picking on time?

Zz.

ebon: posted:
That is all events are occurring simultaneously.

That makes no sense to me as stated since relativity specifically invokes non simultaneity and we also know things do change over time...time is, in effect, a measure of change...so things (events) do not occur simultaneously...in other words, science currently understands time very differently than you have stated.

You may have a worthwhile idea, but as stated, few here will likely be able to discern what you mean.

Einstein and related work discovered two things that are independent of one's motion: the speed of light and the space-time interval. Space is not fixed; time is not fixed; each varies according to observer motion. That means events themselves are observed differently by different observers in motion: it's call relativity of simultaneity.
This means neither space (distance) nor time are constant; it is only the four dimensional space time interval that has an absolute reality independent of observer motion.

Once you understand facts supporting your idea and those opposing it, you are free to make an objective evaluation: that's how Einstein started when he doubted the formulation of Maxwell's equations for electromagnetism...he turned out to be right!

Last edited:

What is the concept of time?

The concept of time refers to the measurement of the duration between events. It is a human construct that helps us understand the sequence and order of events.

Why do I feel like I never have enough time?

The feeling of not having enough time is a common struggle for many people. It can be caused by a variety of factors such as poor time management skills, taking on too many tasks, or having unrealistic expectations. It is important to identify the root cause and make necessary changes to better manage your time.

How can I improve my time management skills?

Improving time management skills involves setting priorities, creating a schedule or to-do list, and eliminating distractions. It also involves finding a balance between work and personal life and learning to say no to tasks that do not align with your goals. Consistently practicing good time management habits can help you make the most of your time.

Is it possible to control time?

While we cannot physically control time, we can control how we use it. By managing our time effectively and making conscious choices about how we spend it, we can make the most of the time we have.

How can I deal with the pressure of deadlines and time constraints?

The key to dealing with the pressure of deadlines and time constraints is effective time management and stress management techniques. This may include breaking down tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks, prioritizing tasks, and taking breaks to avoid burnout. It is also important to communicate with others and ask for help if needed.