Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems in Turkey?

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2007 #2
    Minor correction: they are recalling their ambassador from US and reward him some "vacation time".

Things definitely are going to get more interesting again. With the US military being worn out in Iraq, I think regional powers sensed weakness and is now prepared to make moves.

Personally I don't really understand what the big deal with the genocide vote is. It seems like Turkey is using it as a smoke screen to initiate independent action, ie. curbing the Iraqis Kurds.

4. Oct 11, 2007 #3

Art

This from the article
    rather ironic..

5. Oct 11, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps the question should be "How much of a problem is the Foreign Affairs Committee becoming?" What possible sane reason would the Committee have to take this destabilizing action now?

6. Oct 11, 2007 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I heard this morning about a resolution (or bill?) in Congress condemning the Armenian Genocide, which is still an issue concerning Turkey. Past Congresses have buried such legislation in the past.

House Bill on Armenian Genocide Angers Turks
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15180113
    Bush doesn't want to deal with it.
    But then if not now - when?

7. Oct 11, 2007 #6

russ_watters

On the flip side, I'm wondering what the point of the resolution is. The distrustful-of-democrats in me is considering that it may be an attempt to sabbotage relations with Turkey to disrupt the war effort.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  8. Oct 11, 2007 #7
    Germany is our ally, right?

What if their government systematically denied the Holocaust for the past 62 years and still practiced NAZI-like ways?

It's been 92 years for the Armenians.

Our time has come.

9. Oct 11, 2007 #8

Astronuc

It may be bad timing, but with successive Republican majorities in Congress and/or Republican administrations, it has been put off until now.

The modern world needs to come to terms with its past.

And we need to move on and stop with the violence already.

10. Oct 11, 2007 #9

russ_watters

I really don't know the history that well, but what does any of that have to do with the US Congress passing a resolution? Why are they doing it now? Why does it need to be done at all?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  11. Oct 11, 2007 #10

russ_watters

For 90 years? Doesn't make sense to me.

12. Oct 11, 2007 #11

Astronuc

It has been a matter of expedience and convenience, especially after WWII and development of the Cold War.

13. Oct 12, 2007 #12
    That sums it up.

14. Oct 12, 2007 #13

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Was that why Clinton convinced the Republican-controlled congress to abandon its attempt to recognize the Armenian genocide in October 2000?

Just like Clinton.... its all about mideast oil!

I'm glad that all's well in that part of the world now and we can Moveon to recognize the Armenians suffering after 90 years, as if we haven't already in numerous forums and by various presidents.

President Wilson
    President Reagan
    President Clinton
    President Bush
    Haven't we already done so?
    Was all this nonsense necessary.... now?
    I don't think so.

15. Oct 12, 2007 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since 1988, you had Bosnia, Rwanda, Guatemala, Kosovo, Darfur, and Congo.

Which brings up a problem in terminology. Civil wars turn extremely violent and often involved war crimes, crimes against humanity, etc, but the term 'genocide' has turned into a term meaning 'crimes committed by an enemy of ours'. The politics of naming: genocide, civil war, insurgency 'Genocide' has become as slippery a term as 'terrorist' has become.

Genocide is a technically appropriate term to use when reffering to what happened to Armenians in Turkey, but Congress's bill implies a lot more than an acknowledgement of a past crime committed by a government that was deposed soon after the crime. In today's world, the acknowledgement is tossing Turkey in the group consisting of the 'Arabs' in Darfur, the Serbs in Bosnia and Kosovo, etc.

16. Oct 12, 2007 #15
    Does the United States of America formally recognize the Armenian genocide?

Its a yes or no answer.

Why would the Turkish goverment spend over $300,000 a year to prevent it if it already exist?

Is your "Turkishness" intact chemisttree? If you were over there they might lock you up or worse for telling the truth.

Makes me sad to think the Turks locked up Hrant Dink's son.

Turkey Lashes Back at Genocide Vote
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20071012/wl_time/turkeylashesbackatgenocidevote

17. Oct 12, 2007 #16

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would say 'yes'. What do you think?

18. Oct 12, 2007 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's three sponsors for this bill. Three Democrats and two Republicans: George Radanovich, an extremely conservative Rep from Mariposa, California; Brad Sherman, a Democrat from Sherman Oaks, CA; Adam Schiff, a Democrat from Burbank, CA; Thad McCotter, a conservative-libertarian Republican from Michigan; and Frank Pallone, a Democrat from New Jersey. Radanovich and McCotter have been supporters of staying in Iraq, while the other three have been supporters of leaving.

I also wonder why they would choose this particular time to introduce a bill that will cause problems in Iraq, but it isn't a particularly partisan effort.

19. Oct 12, 2007 #18

russ_watters

The answer is no.

Should it? Why?

20. Oct 12, 2007 #19

Art

I think the distinction is made between the Turkish gov't of today and that of the Ottomans but it is vital the Turks face up to their past. It is important for the Armenians to have what happened to them declared genocide for practical as well as emotional reasons. For a start it would allow them to seek financial reparations from Turkey as paid to jewish people by the Germans after the Nazi genocide. These payments are still being made today despite the Nazi gov't too being long gone amd rightly so, whereas in Turkey people today are being imprisoned for mentioning the attrocity. Could you imagine a Germany of today imprisoning jews for complaining about the holocaust? It would be unthinkable and yet that is what is happening in Turkey.

Personally I would like to see more of gov'ts doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do rather than ignore attrocities because of short term interests and I don't believe in the conspiracy theories floated in this thread re the motive for the vote. There has been a worldwide campaign for some years now for international recognition of this genocide with France being one of the countries to lend official support fairly recently - 2004.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  21. Oct 15, 2007 #20

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Art, don't forget that much of the world has already done just that, including the United Nations. How will the US's recognition suddenly allow the Armenians to feel good about themselves or heal emotionally and begin to seek reparations?

If this doesn't help the Armenians feel better, nothing will.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?