Problems with Electric Field questions

In summary: So I guess you should check your calculations again.In summary, the conversation was about finding the point on the x-axis where the net electric field is zero for two particles with given charges and separation distance. The person solved the problem but got a different answer from the book's answer and was asking for confirmation on their solution. They later found a mistake in their calculation and arrived at the same answer as the book.
User1247

Homework Statement

Find the point on the x-axis where the net electric field is zero for two particles of charges q1=1x10^-9C and q2=2x10^-9C. Assume q1 and q2 are 20cm apart. Assume q1 is located at x=0.

I solved this but it's not the same as the book's answer.. GAH! What do you guys get? Thanks.

Homework Equations

Enet=E1+E2, Enet=0 => |E1|=|E2|

E=kq/r² where q is the charge creating the field

The Attempt at a Solution

E1=kq1/r²
E2=kq2/(.2m - r)²

kq1/r²=kq2/(.2m - r)²
q1/r²=q2/(.2m - r)²
q1(.2m - r)²=q2r²
q1(.2m - r)²=q2r²
q1(0.4m-0.4mr+r²)-q2r²=0 <------ There's my mistake
(q1)0.4m-(q1)0.4mr+(q1)r²-q2r²=0
(q1-q2)r²-(q1)0.4mr+(q1)0.4m=0
((1E-9C)-(2E-9C))r²-(1E-9C)0.4mr+(1E-9C)0.4m=0
(-1E-9C)r²-(1E-9C)0.4mr+(1E-9C)0.4m=0
(-1E-9C)r²-(4E-10C)mr+(4E-10C)m=0
(-1E-9)r²-(4E-10)r+(4E-10)=0
r=-0.863325 or r=0.463325

The answer in the book is 8.3cm. Where did I go wrong?
------
Edit:
q1(.2m - r)²=q2r²
q1(0.04m-0.4mr+r²)-q2r²=0
(q1)0.04m-(q1)0.4mr+(q1)r²-q2r²=0
(q1-q2)r²-(q1)0.4mr+(q1)0.04m=0
((1E-9C)-(2E-9C))r²-(1E-9C)0.4mr+(1E-9C)0.04m=0
(-1E-9C)r²-(1E-9C)0.4mr+(1E-9C)0.04m=0
(-1E-9C)r²-(4E-10C)mr+(4E-11C)m=0
(-1E-9)r²-(4E-10)r+(4E-11)=0
Positive r comes out to 8.3cm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
do you realize that Q2 has charge two times of Q1? Simply suibstitute Q2 with 2Q1 and cancel out the Q1s and your equations will appear much simpler.

I managed to simplify the equation into a quadratic equation offhand. You should arrive at a quadratic equation.

Last edited:
Right, you can see:

(-1E-9)r²-(4E-10)r+(4E-10)=0 before I found my mistake and
(-1E-9)r²-(4E-10)r+(4E-11)=0 after I found my mistake.

Those are quadratic equations.

to tell you the truth, I was actually too lazy to go through those equations. It was a pain for my eyes hah.

But the point is if you know that your steps were correct, that means somewhere along the line you had a simple miscalculation.

1. What are some common problems with electric field questions?

Some common problems with electric field questions include understanding the concept of electric field, identifying the direction and magnitude of the electric field, calculating electric field strength at a given point, and understanding the relationship between electric field and electric potential.

2. How do I determine the direction of the electric field?

The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience when placed in the electric field. The electric field lines always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field and electric potential are closely related. Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. The direction of the electric field is always perpendicular to the equipotential lines, which represent regions of equal electric potential.

4. How do I calculate the electric field strength at a given point?

To calculate the electric field strength at a given point, you need to know the magnitude of the charges and their distance from the point. You can use Coulomb's law to calculate the force between the charges, and then divide by the test charge to find the electric field strength.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric field problems?

Electric field problems are important in many fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry. Some real-world applications include understanding the behavior of charged particles in an electric field, designing electrical circuits, and studying the properties of materials in an electric field.