1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with First order RC circuit

1. Sep 24, 2016 #1
    • Member warned to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    I have problems with question b. I don't know where to start. If the switch is on steady state, the current through capacitor would be 0 and i can't have K. This makes me confused.
    This is the Total response function of a): V0(t) = K^(-1/2t)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The image shows a 12V power source with 2##\Omega## internal resistance connected, in parallel, with a parallel RC circuit (3F and 4##\Omega##) via a switch.
    The voltage across the capacitor is labelled ##v_0##.
    Part (a) says the switch, open for a long time, is closed at t=0, find ##v_0(t)##.
    Part (b) says the switch has been closed for a long time, and is opened at t=0, find ##v_0(t)##.
    These two parts normally have a similar method of solution, so please show your method for part (a) so we can see how you are thinking.

For part (b) ... what is physically happening? What is the initial voltage on the capactor, what happens to the charge on the capacitor for t>0?

4. Sep 25, 2016 #3
    Ok, this is part a)

Attached Files:

5. Sep 25, 2016 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Are you familiar with the response of a series RC circuit excited with a step input?
    Are you familiar with the Thevenin's theorem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted