1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Procedure to draw a phase portrait by hand ?

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    So I want to be able to draw the phase portrait for linear systems such as:

x'=x-2y
    y'=3x-4y

I am completely confused, but this is what I have come up with so far:

Step 1: Write out the system in the form of a matrix.
    Step 2: Find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors for the matrix.
    Step 3: Using the eigenvectors draw the eigenlines.
    Step 4: Using the the eigenvalues label the direction of the eigenlines[(+) = away, (-)= towards]
    Step 5: Using the eigenvalues determine the type of the system. Eg: node, star, spiral etc.
    Step 6: Fill in a few trajectories.

My issues appear at steps 5 and 6, I can't figure out how to draw the trajectories. Which eigenline should they be based around ?
    Also with complex eigenvalues or when there is 1 eigenvector what do I have to do ?

Any help or link to a webpage would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2
    since you have a linear system, as with all linear systems, you want to put it in a "cannonical form", and draw your phase portrait as a linear shift from the cannonical form phase portrait ( with the change of basis operator as your shift )
    the cannonical forms are exactly the situations where you have 2 different eigenvalues, 1 eigenvector... et c if you haven't learnt about these, I will elaborate

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    No idea what that means...

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay for this problem that is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}x' \\ y'\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 & -2 \\ 3 & -4\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

6. Feb 24, 2013 #5
    @HallsofIvy: Thank you so much! That was such an elaborate reply! helped me a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted